• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How the instant-messenger client notifies you of new IMs?

dvdqnoc

Android Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2009
Hi, I am aware of the notification bar on the top thatyou can bring down to see new e-mails, SMS texts, etc. But how does notification work with IM (instant-messaging)?

I would like to know how Hero notifies you of new IM's both when you are on the home screen/different app other than IM, and in the locked screen (where you have to drag down to unlock). Thanks!

Hi, I am aware of the notification bar on the top thatyou can bring down to see new e-mails, SMS texts, etc. But how does notification work with IM (instant-messaging)?

I would like to know how Hero notifies you of new IM's both when you are on the home screen/different app other than IM, and in the locked screen (where you have to drag down to unlock). Thanks!
I am pretty sure a noise will play and an icon will popup on the notification. It may also vibrate if you wish it to. You then bring down the bar and press the notification to get to the IM client.

Upvote 0
With GTalk, when a message comes in the phone beeps, the LED flashes an d a message appears in the notification bar at the top. If you open the bar and then tap on the message, GTalk opens up. I'm not sure about when you're in another app, but I'd imagine it notifies you in the same way (ie beeps and the LED flashes). If you then go back to the home screen, the notification bar should have the message there.
Obviously, that's how it works for GTalk, I've never used any other IM service on my Hero, so I can't vouch for any other.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones