1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

How to access 'my maps' on Droid Eris

Last Updated:

1. eerickson7

eerickson7 New Member This Topic's Starter

I'm trying to access the google 'my maps' I've created on my new Droid Eris. I don't see a layers option in google maps.

I downloaded my maps editor, and if I try to load a map, it just says "loading" indefinitely and never actually pulls up the map. There are only a couple dozen points on the map I'm trying, so it shouldn't take that long to load. I've tried deleting the app and re-downloading it. I've tried restarting the phone. I've tried accessing it by clicking a link in an email, all with no success.

I'm just dumbfounded that google's OS is making it so difficult to access a google map. Even my piece of crap WM5 phone could do that.

Advertisement
  2. Tim K

Tim K Well-Known Member Contributor

I don't know about the Eris, but it works fine on my Droid. I make custom maps on my PC and save them as "my maps". I go on my Droid, open maps, click the menu button, choose layers, choose "more layers" at the bottom, then choose "my maps". This should bring up a list of the maps you have created and saved in google maps.

3. eerickson7

eerickson7 New Member This Topic's Starter

I've gone through all the google maps menus on my droid eris, and I haven't been able to find any layers option.

4. bheller

bheller Member

Hi,
    I just spent a good hour+ trying to figure this out and not much luck. I simply want to be able to access a "My Maps" location from the Google Maps app to get directions to it from My Location. Can it be done? I assumed so because it's *really* basic functionality, but I can't figure out how.

The Layers option appears in something higher than Maps 3.1.2, which is what I have. It seems like there was no way to do it before. I could figure out how to try to update Maps-- I'm thinking it's tied to the OS, and updated in 1.6, but My understanding is that OS won't run on Eris.

This is just vexing, can anyone shed some light? I'm brand new to the whole thing, so I'm hoping it's me...

Thanks,
    Brian

5. bheller

bheller Member

Anyone? Without the ability to easily choose a pre-defined a location to get directions from/to, I'm not sure what the real value is here...I'm sure there's some kind of workaround?

Also, is there a way to edit the directions Google gives? I realized I'm having problems because I usually look it up on a desktop and use paper, so I can parse all the superfluous steps and really get it down to the bare minimum. Trying to glance at this thing like paper is a real problem. Really want some feedback to improve this if possible!

Thanks,
    brian

6. Jevid

Jevid Well-Known Member

I could be wrong here - but I'm pretty sure I read (somewhere here) that the version of maps the Eris uses doesn't support this. Once we get bumped to 2.x, I think Eris users will be able to use "my maps."

7. yungmunk

yungmunk New Member

I figured out how to get "my maps" in the android "maps" app that comes with the phone. Open Maps app, click the icon in the upper right hand corner that looks like layers of paper stacked on top of each other, click the "More Layers" button and your "my maps" should now be visible. If not make sure you're using the correct google account.