• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to achieve lag free drawing

Dman65

Lurker
Jun 14, 2010
I own a GridPad tablet from about 1989 that has an NEC V20 processor (16mhz). It runs a version of Windows 3.x for use with pen input or the GEOS operating environment. If I use a drawing program with this device I can drawn on the screen with the stylus, with no lag. If I want to use it like a notepad to take handwritten notes, I can actually do that because I don't have to wait a half second for it to finish painting what I just wrote to make sure the top of my T is in the right place.

I also have a few different Android based phones and tablets which I have for testing applications we develop. But on these devices, even ones with dual core 1 ghz processors, if I use a drawing program to take notes, I experience lag in my drawing. I draw the vertical portion of a T and I have to wait for it to catch up so I can see where to draw the horizontal portion.

Does anyone know powerful a machine has to be in order for the drawing to not lag behind? Can anyone explain why it is lagging behind? It just seems odd to me that a device with z processor 62 times as fast as something running Windows 3.x can't provide the same level of user interface.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones