how to adb push apk file to the system\app

1. GingaB

GingaB Well-Known Member

Hi guys. Im having issues adb pushing MIUI weather apk to the system\app. I added the apk file to the directory of the SDK tools folder and had my fone set to debug but Im not doing the right commands so could somebody help please?? this is what I did:

cd\
    cd\android-sdk-windows\tools
    adb devices
    adb remount
    adb push MIUIDev_Weather_EU_Beta\system\app

I tried "adb push MIUIDev_Weather_EU_Beta.apk\system\" aswell but that didnt work either. :confused:

Advertisement
    :
  2. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

you are doing it wrong

its
    adb remount
    adb push MIUIDev_Weather_EU_Beta.apk /system/app/

you were missing a space and also your slashes are the wrong way
    oldjackbob and GingaB like this.
  3. GingaB

GingaB Well-Known Member

Lol that worked rasta! :D
  4. Rastaman-FB

no problem
  5. GingaB

GingaB Well-Known Member

ARGHH the apk wont open at all.. so I tried "adb install MIUIDev_Weather_EU_Beta.apk" but I get "failure (install_parse_failed_no_certificates)" what does that mean??
  6. GingaB

GingaB Well-Known Member

Does that mean I have to sign it?? how should I do it? through recovery?
  7. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

When you push it, it should just be there in your app drawer. Is it not
  8. GingaB

GingaB Well-Known Member

Nope. Apk shows up on root explorer BUT it wont let me install it. before you ask I set the right permissions. Somebody mentioned I need to sign the apk but I dont know how to do that
  9. SUroot

Why are you trying to install it? You've already pushed it. That should be all that's required. You can't install anything in system/app if you open the apk
  10. GingaB

GingaB Well-Known Member

Because the app isnt showing up on the launcher. I even tried adb shell chomd 644 /system/app but ended up getitng constant force closes! I think I just need to sign the apk then I am good to go. But Ive never done that before!
  11. Rastaman-FB

woah woah woah slow down gingaB

first of all just cos its a system app doesnt mean it will work its built for miui
    second of all, did you reboot after pushing it
    if you didnt then you will have to do it as system apps need a reboot to function after being pushed

you dont ever install system apps using the adb install method as you cannot install to system
  12. GingaB

GingaB Well-Known Member

Lol well somebody on MIUI dev forum told me to adb install clearly it didnt work! Anyways I did adb reboot just now. The app installs on the launcher but it force closes!? This is getting ridiculous now!
  13. Rastaman-FB

delete it , reboot
    re push
    reboot
  14. GingaB

GingaB Well-Known Member

Still force closing! :mad: would signing the apk help?? Everybody else over at MIUIdev seem to get this apk working ok. Why am I being singled out grrrr lol
  15. GingaB

GingaB Well-Known Member

UPDATE: apparently few peeps are having same issues as me so it looks like apk doenst work for everybody! Question of wait and see what MarkHuk does now!
  16. GingaB

GingaB Well-Known Member

Somebody suggested to flash this apk through recovery using 7zip. Im unfamilair with changing apk to zip. So any help would be appreciated. I have 7zip on my computer. I dragged the apk to the system/app on 7zip and deleted launcher2.apk as directed but this is where I get lost. Where do I go from here??
  17. SUroot

I wouldn't know what to do with that app, but in winrar when you drag it in, it has an option to set compression as "Store". That needs to be the case - i.e remain uncompressed.

Then you put the zip on your SD card and flash it.
  18. GingaB

GingaB Well-Known Member

Could you tell me step by step how I should do that? In which directory of winrar should I drag the apk to? I cant find "compression" or "store" anywhere
  19. SUroot

So it sounds like you already have a flashable zip is that right? And you just want to add a different application into that flashable zip so you can flash it?
  20. GingaB

GingaB Well-Known Member

Ive managed to zip em up. But I have two files here. One is the weather apk and the other is the city database file. Should I merge them?
  21. GingaB

GingaB Well-Known Member

Just found out there might be a problem with the apk itself. Apparently the weather databases for the UK is most likely too full thereby giving me a force close. So looks liek the dev is going to rewrite it again.
  22. SUroot

Yeah its not as simple as that unfortunately.

It's best I find, to download an existing flashable zip and just swap the files
  23. GingaB

GingaB Well-Known Member

Hmm ok. Lets see what the devs over at MIUI do about it
  24. GingaB

GingaB Well-Known Member

UPDATE: Somebody over at MIUIdev.com released a working zip file today! It looks sweeeet!:D