how to assign custom sound to TXT alertSupport

Last Updated:

1. beammeup

beammeup New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi How do I assign an MP3 or indeed other audio file for my TXT message alert.? I have created and assigned about 5 different ringtones to both individuals and groups, but I can't get the phone to accept a MP3 as the txt notification ? Frustrating !!!!!

I have the Galaxy S

thanks
    Scott

Advertisement
  2. TimeCom

TimeCom New Member

You could try a ringtone assigning program. I've only tried ringdroid (in the market for free) and that seems to work. You just open the MP3 file you want, adjust the time (if you want) and save it. When it saves, it gives you the option to assign the new file as an alarm, ringtone or alerts.

Alternatively, I've read that aRing might do the same but I have not personally tested it.

3. goughy

goughy Well-Known Member

I currently use ringdroid and ringo lite so I can assign ringtones to google contacts. But I didn't before.

Connect your phone to your computer in usb mode and then open the internal sd card in file explorer. Create some folders there.... Media/Audio/Notifications , then another called Ringtones, then another called Alarms. You can then drop any mp3's in those folders and they will appear in the standard settings for assigning ringtones, notifications (sms alerts) etc. That's how I did it before using the other programs.

Those mp3's will turn up in the standard music player though. There are some work arounds to stop them appearing in the music player; I tried them all and they didn't work for me but I believe have for others. Do a search on the word 'nomedia' to find the threads about that.

I use mixzing for music (free) and specify which folders it searches for music to keep them out of my music program. It also plays my video files.

4. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

If you have problems connecting your phone to your computer, you can also create the folder on your phone. Use the app "folder" (It's in your phone already, look for it), and create the folders media/audio/notifications .

As for the nomedia thing, if you create a file called .nomedia (without any extensions) in a folder, the media scanner won't scan the folder, thus the files won't show up in the music player (or video player). However, I think this also prevents the file from showing up in your ringtone list.

5. goughy

goughy Well-Known Member

That's what happened to me. The tones disappeared from the music app, but also from my ringtones list.