How to attach map or directions to Gmail?Support

Last Updated:

1. rapidsandroid

rapidsandroid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

How do I email someone a map or directions from my DInc using Gmail?
    I could not see an option to share or attach within Google Maps or Gmail.

Advertisement
  2. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter Administrator Moderator

bump, would like to know as well

3. Bug Splat

Bug Splat Well-Known Member

Couldn't you just email them the address and have them use Google Maps to look it up themselves?

4. dscribe

dscribe Well-Known Member

5. upther

upther Well-Known Member

Can't you just copy the web link and paste it into the email you're sending?

6. dscribe

I think he's talking about the google maps android app, not the web app.. but your point still has some merit.

7. rapidsandroid

Yes, talking about the Google map app, not web based.

Scenario was I was meeting my dad for lunch, and he wanted directions. He uses a Palm Pre, so figured either emailing or SMS directions or a map was best alternative to show him where the restaurant was.

One would think that there would be a simple share option in Google Maps app like in photos.

8. upther

upther Well-Known Member

My bad. For some reason I was thinking there was still an address bar at the top of the screen while in Maps. I was lazy and didn't bother checking before posting.

When you text an address, doesn't it show up as a link in the message and won't that take you right to Google Maps? I know it isn't as easy as sharing a direct link, which would be a nice feature, but it gets the job done.

9. JFeisty

JFeisty Well-Known Member

I was just able to share a location via email in the Maps app. I searched for an address, then I tapped on the "tooltip" (for lack of a better term) above the pin that points to the location. This brought up a new screen with a bunch of options, one of which is "Share this place". Clicking on that allows me to share via email, Facebook, SMS, etc.

Now, I will admit that right before seeing this post I upgraded to the latest version of Google Maps, so maybe this is a new feature??

10. rapidsandroid

Hmm, I don't see that option. When I click on a location, I get the menu for

• Show on map
    • Get directions
    • Navigate
    • Call
    • Buzz
    • Report problem
    • Add as contact.

11. upther

upther Well-Known Member

Yeah, I updated this morning but I don't see that option either.

12. JFeisty

Interesting. What version of Maps do you have? Mine just got upgraded to 4.3.0 (#4305).

13. dscribe

I have upgraded to the new google maps version that came out today. I just did a long-hold on my current location balloon in maps and a menu popped up that included the option "Share this place"...when I select that, it gave me another menu of things I can share with including "Messages" and "Gmail."... cool. I just sent it to myself and it sets a link that can be opened in either the google maps app or by a web browser. If you can receive email you should be able to do one or both of these.

14. upther

upther Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm getting that now too. When I did a long hold an hour ago all I got was the street view or report a problem option in a little balloon. Now it's a different page with more options. Sweet.

15. JFeisty

That's interesting about the long press for you all. For me a tap brings up the screen with all the options. Long press does nothing....well, it doesn't exactly do nothing, when I lift my finger off the screen it brings up the new window. But I can long press for 20 seconds and absolutely nothing happens.

16. dscribe

yes, it came up when I lifted my finger, might not have required a long press...checking...now when I just tap the "my location" balloon I get a screen with a menu including such items as "What's nearby?," "Post buzz," "Share this place," etc. and "Share this place" gives the same options I mentioned before. Anyways.. you can DO it. :)

17. JFeisty

Glad it works! I can't believe it wasn't in there before though. Sheesh!

18. rapidsandroid

Updated Google Maps to ver. 4.3.0 just now and it now has the share map location in the pop up menu...SA-WEET! :D
    Guess someone in Google heard me whining in here and rushed an update out. LOL
    thanks all

19. Liquoredolce

Liquoredolce Well-Known Member

Weird, I did that about a month ago. I "shared" a location from google maps to a friend on his iphone. It definitely was there before, I did it.