• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to automatically switch between live wallpapers using Tasker?

inhahe

Lurker
Jan 4, 2015
I found a bunch of awesome live wallpapers, and I can't choose among them, so I would like to automatically switch between live wallpapers at random (or maybe in whatever order). From what research I've done I think Tasker might be able to do this, but it seems highly technical and like it would require a lot of research. I'm hoping someone here can help me out with it.

I'd like it to switch between live wallpapers on one of the following conditions (I'm not sure which one yet):
1. Whenever I turn on my phone
2. Whenever I wake up my phone (preferably before I unlock it)
3. Depending on what hour of the day it is (that would go into effect even when I first turn on my phone, as I usually keep my phone off)

Note that I don't currently have Tasker installed, as it costs money and I don't want to pay for it unless someone has a solution for me.

Of course, any other solution than one using Tasker would also be appreciated.

Note: I have found some solutions (some using Tasker, some using other apps) that can automatically switch between *pictures* for the wallpaper, but those won't suffice. I need to switch between *live* wallpapers.

Thank you very much!

Hi @inhahe and welcome to Android Forums :)

I believe there is actually a 7-day trial version of Tasker available directly from the developer: http://tasker.dinglisch.net/dl

I also found a Reddit thread that describes how to set a a Live Wallpaper via Tasker:
Hi all, I been playing with tasker for a while and noticed there are a lot of posts asking how to set a LW with tasker. I diged around and found an old xda post where a guy explained how to use a shell command to set it, I can't remember his name but If I do I'll do an edit and add it.

Now to set a LW the only thing needed is a task with an action of shell command and this command in the command text box:

service call wallpaper 2 i32 1 s16 "com.maxelus.poweroflifelivewallpaper" s16 "com.maxelus.poweroflifelivewallpaper.WallpaperService"

The first argument is the package of the LW, then the other one is the service.

I am using this right now to set my live wallpaper when my battery is over 50 and when it's below a task this rotates static wallpapers takes its place. Also when I plug it in a live wallpaper that shows the current battery percent is set.

How to figure out the service name is also covered:
how do I find the service of different packages?

edit: FIGURED IT OUT....

Disable Service app in the Market lists services running on apps and that's what I used to figure it out for different wallpapers. I'm sure there are other simpler ways and still hope someone will take the time to list/explain them.

And the referenced XDA thread seems to be this one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2607884

I haven't played with switching LWs, but hopefully this info will help. Let me know how it goes. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones