• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to avoid roaming fee's? Help. Galaxy s3

ushy86

Jun 5, 2013
Hello all, I am new here and had a few questions regarding how to avoid roaming charges while travelling from Canada to the U.S. , also which options to make sure are enabled/disabled on my phone while traveling.

To avoid roaming charges:

1. Should I keep WIFI enabled all times, or just while near WIFI compatible area's? Such as a residence I'm staying at, a Mc Donald's etc?

2. Under mobile Networks on the Galaxy S3, should I have "Enable data access over mobile network" checked on or off?

3. Will question 2 be alright, checked ON/ENABLED while DATA Roaming is set to off?

4. Should I re assign anything under Network Mode? GSM-HSPA-LTE auto connect? Or something else?

5. Is KiK messenger alright to use to negative any possible fee's? I'm told it's free internationally and installed it.

Thank you so much, any help would be appreciated to these questions, as I'm leaving tomorrow and don't want any unnecessary fee's.

Please be very mindful of Data Roaming.
I went from Malaysia to Germany, cost me $10 per 1MB. After 4 days of using GPS and sending few photos via whataspp, I ended up with over $1300 bill.

Most of the telco provide temp, internet data access for travelers. A sim with some kind of 10/20/30 days package, which is far more affordable. Out of all the services, Data Roaming is still outrageously expensive, for most providers.

Reactions: javamann
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones