How to backup settings/apps/etc

Last Updated:

1. elninost0rm

elninost0rm Member This Topic's Starter

hey all,

Thinking about switching to BB from Ultimate Droid v10. That being said, anytime I do this, I backup the ROM entirely through SPRecovery. I've used Titanium Backup, MyBackup Pro, etc., and I can't seem to restore the settings/apps whenever I switch to a different ROM. This makes the process entirely pointless to me, as I don't feel like setting up home screens/redoing all my settings each time I switch ROMs.

Titanium Backup likes to give me parse errors regardless of the level of compression that is set. MyBackup Pro reports a successful backup, but nothing is actually restored except apps (no app/system settings, no home screens, etc).

Any ideas? I've heard that to make Titanium Backup work, you must set something in the shell but I have no idea how or what to put in there.

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

you can restore apps and app data with backup programs but you cant restore system data between roms. It doesnt work since the systems are not setup quite the same.

3. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

Experiment with different compression levels in Titanium. I have had errors in the past, but now it has been flawless. I have learned my lesson and with each Titanium backup I do a backup verify. I never restore system settings with Titanium (better to do that from scratch). Currently I am using GZIP compression in Titanium. I also use the "Problems/" button in Titanium which flashes a working version of busybox which has solved a few problems in the past.

4. elninost0rm

I missed the handy little "Problems" button. Trying this now. Will be purchasing Titanium if this works out.

Thanks for the advice on the system settings. I figured it would be a problem, but now I know for sure.

5. elninost0rm

Worked great (for apps and their settings).

Definitely going to purchase for the speedy restore option.

6. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Be careful, and make sure you follow the advice to *not* restore system settings. While this is all good in terms of getting things like your SMS and such back, in reality, restoring system settings can play havoc when you start playing with different ROMs.

7. elninost0rm

Thanks..

I've found that using MyBackup Pro for the home screens is a small work-around, as it usually works (permitting you aren't using a rom with Helix, then switching to one that's not, for example).