How to backup so I can root?

Last Updated:

1. DarthMuffin

DarthMuffin Member This Topic's Starter

I'm in sort of a catch-22 here. Rooting requires a wipe, so I lose all my data but all the backup software I've seen requires root.

I know my contacts and email are saved out on gmail, but I have some apps with local data that I need to save. What's the best way to do that prior to rooting/wiping?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

Use astro file manager. You can backup apps in the tools menu. Anything on the SD card will be unaffected.

3. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

rooting does not require a wipe. Check the Guide to All things root related it has a guide for rooting without loosing app data

The problem with backing up with Astro is that it does not restore market links. The guide I referred you to uses titanium which does restore your apps links to the market so you can keep getting updates.

4. DarthMuffin

Thanks for the replies. Now it looks like I get to spend the day researching upgrade techniques and Froyo builds :)

5. DarthMuffin

Yes, but every Froyo build (which is why I want to root) I've seen requires a complete wipe to install. So getting root on 2.1 doesn't help me any.

6. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

In the guide I referred to it explains how to backup your apps and app data with titanium before you flash a new rom