• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HOW-TO Backup your HTC Eris

This is what i'm wondering.. I'm not concerned about losing pictures, music, videos, texts or contacts. My apps are all free and not essential to daily life anyway.

if your contacts are sync'd to google then your contacts are good to go. many people (most) ARE concerned about the things you mention.

How does the restore on applications that you purchased work?

your bought apps are linked to your google acct, so as long as you log into your new phone (or factory reset phone) with the same acct they will be there waiting for you in your market app and marked "purchased"

Couldn't I just mount my sd card on my computer (imac) and copy everything to my imac? Then to restore, just mount the card again and erase what is on there after a reset and copy everything back?

yes you could, and i advise you do, but this wont backup your apps/contacts/calendar entries, etc.

Upvote 0
This may have been addressed already... I'm lazy and just skimmed through... but are there any free (the good "free" where you get a useful product) back up programs? Yes, I'm also cheap.

If you're talking about just apps I would suggest appmonster. of course it won't work for copy protected apps, such as ones you purchased. to restore use atrackdog (also free). It scans the appmonster folder & allows you to download them either from the card or from the market. If you want to keep getting notified of updates you should install from the market. As far as backing up settings I guess mybackup pro does that. Contacts as stated are automatically synced with Google, as long as they are "Google" & not "phone" contacts.

Upvote 0
You rooted right? then do a nand backup instead. Its in recovery and it will save your UI layout
You are just the person I need to talk to surgeon.
I have an Incredible rooted ect...my husband has an Eris and I'm looking to root it and put something on thats faster. Can you tell me what you use to root, and then if you have tried many ROMs that make the Eris run faster.
I really need to make something like the nandroid backup for his phone before I mess with anything.
Edit: Found the one touch root, and preformed the backup. But I would still appreciate some advice on the best/fastest rom to use.

Upvote 0
Caddyman your post was great about backup options and after anxious research I decided on my backup pro. Its seems to have worked, I backed up text messages but when I opened up the folder on my computer, from the sdcard, it said "windows cannot open this file, to open, windows needs to know w:thinking:hat program created it..."
What do I do now? It said the format was .mbp can anyone help me please?

Upvote 0
My Backup Pro is for restoring things on your phone after a factory reset. If you want to get texts onto your computer try one of the SMS Backup apps.

Actually, MyBackup Pro can bakup and restore text messages. However, the format (I believe) is proprietary to that app - it's not used to backup texts in a way that can be read by a PC.

I think the best way to backup texts is to run the (free) app SMS Backup+, which will automatically copy all received and sent text messages to a label on your gmail account. You can easily read the messages in gmail (including using gmail search to look for a particular text), and the app can also be used to restore messages to the phone if you wipe your phone, get a new phone, etc.

Upvote 0
Hello,

I have already upgraded from my ERIS to a Motorola Droid Bionic, so my Eris is not in service. Is there any way to get my apps off the ERIS phone using the USB cable? I do not have mybackuppro on the phone and do not have data service to get it. :thinking:

Any Ideas?

Thanks !

If you don't have WiFi at home, go to your local library, McDonalds, Panera, etc., to use the WiFi and download the MyBackup Pro from there. Or, turn on hotspot service on your Bionic and use it's data to connect to WiFi from the Eris.

Also, though, all of your apps will be in market.android.com (from a PC browser, not the phone's browser) - after logging in, go to the link in the upper right which says "My Market Account" and it should have a listing of all of the apps that you purchased, plus free apps you installed, to your Eris - and you can install them to the Bionic from there.

Reactions: ottrod
Upvote 0
If you don't have WiFi at home, go to your local library, McDonalds, Panera, etc., to use the WiFi and download the MyBackup Pro from there. Or, turn on hotspot service on your Bionic and use it's data to connect to WiFi from the Eris.

Also, though, all of your apps will be in market.android.com (from a PC browser, not the phone's browser) - after logging in, go to the link in the upper right which says "My Market Account" and it should have a listing of all of the apps that you purchased, plus free apps you installed, to your Eris - and you can install them to the Bionic from there.

Thank you for the tips - that's some great info there !! I'll give that a try and post the results. I appreciate you sharing :)

Thanks again !

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones