• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to block Market notifications on some apps?

Zoandroid

Android Expert
May 28, 2010
Ohio - USA
Is there a way, on an Android OS device which is not rooted, to block certain apps from displaying update notifications in the Market (Play)?

I'm asking mostly for my sister, who has a Droid 3 phone and isn't into rooting, but also for myself just to know if it can be done on ANY Android device? Of primary interest for her would be blocking updates to carrier bloatware that you don't use anyway.

Or more for my own interest, sometimes an app I use will have an update that either messes it up so it won't run right, or else the developer does something 'feature-wise' that I would prefer left alone. This causes me to have to un-install the app, go after a previous version from a Titanium Backup, and then remember never to accept an update on the older version. It would really be handy to just be able to 'turn off' an app's update notifications.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones