How to Block Unwanted CallsTips

Last Updated:

1. xchapman

xchapman New Member

I use my EVO 4G for business and my number is posted on my business website. Unfortunately, I get numerous calls, often with recorded messages, from people trying to sell me something for which I am not interested. On my old, non-HTC phone I would just add the unwanted incoming number to a contact called

Advertisement
  2. Isthmus

Isthmus Well-Known Member

First of all, sales calls to cellular phones in the United States are illegal. make the callers aware of that and the calls should stop.

You can also install google voice and have similar abilities to what you described, but that requires that the number be added to your contacts, IIRC.

I use this app:

TCallBlocking

It works wonderfully at blocking unwanted calls and you can add numbers t it not found in your contact list. The number essentially rings once and the person calling gets hung up on. Th elite version is the same as the paid version, but with a limit on the number of numbers you can block. the paid version has no limit.
    hamptonsfl likes this.
  3. xchapman

xchapman New Member

I just purchased and installed the elite version. It appears easy to use. I appreciate the tip. Thanks!
  4. xchapman

xchapman New Member

I tried the call blocking from a known number. My phone did not ring, but it went immediately to voicemail. I need to take this up with the software vendor.

That was a waste of time. When I tried to email them with the error I am getting it switched to a screen in Japanese.
  5. Leafgreen

Leafgreen Active Member

I use the app CallFilter. It works great except for 1 minor bug that shows the contact detail for prev call for <1 sec on incoming blocked call.
  6. WUESTSIDER

WUESTSIDER Well-Known Member

I use SPC, it works really good.
  7. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

hasn't sprint added this ability on the website? when logged in you can add numbers that you want blocked or something like that....

I myself need to check into this. I tried to get an online insurance quote thinking it was going to give me rates and such...unfortunately it sent out my contact info to 100 insurance companies ...3 of which call me 5 or 6 times a day

ok never mind sprint allows you to block texts but I can't find anything on the call part...

only found this :
    As a wireless customer, you can sign up for Do Not Call by dialing 1-888-382-1222 from the phone number you want to add to the list, or by visiting www.donotcall.gov .
  8. QponCutie

QponCutie New Member

You can block phone numbers on the Sprint Website. In the section you choose to block texts, there should also be a "block voice" option. I believe you can block up to 50 numbers per line. It's been a miracle for me!
  9. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Well-Known Member

I think you'll find that if you give out your number asking for an online call back that they can pretty much rape you legally with calls. I know you didn't intend to get 500 calls but you probably didn't opt out of them either.

I've had callers get pretty snide with me when I mention DNC and turning them in for violating it in the same sentence. :)
  10. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

Just use google voice as your main # and problem is solved. Easily send number to spam with google voice.
  11. jamesdean

jamesdean Well-Known Member

Google Voice will do this and is a good way to start but in the OP's situation the cat is already out of the bag.

Mr. Number Call Block works pretty good and is free.
  12. Cares

Cares Well-Known Member

This one! +1
  13. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

In my case it was the same 5 numbers calling repeatedly ...in the end I was able to email all of them (since they were all sending me 5-6 emails a day as well) and they stopped but in the meantime, and for those few people on my contact list that I just don't want to answer their call...I simply added the numbers as contacts and used the send to voicemail option
    atexanone likes this.
  14. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

These calls are a hassle. I use the Do Not Call List, but it's only partially effective. Rather than block the calls, I just ignore them. All but the most ridiculous offenders stop after a few tries. The best part for me is when it's in the nights/weekends, I simply pick up, mute, and go about my biz. After hearing them go "hello, hello, hello" a few times, they realize they're never going to get a response.

I wish there was a one-button option to forward these people to a fax line that never picks up. That noise stops people from calling all the time.
    Mr. Ed likes this.
  15. atexanone

atexanone Member

bolded is very effective
  16. frodis

frodis New Member

I'm using Call & SMS filter which works well so far. It is sad though that this phone has no call protection. My last 2 Samsung phones had options built in to choose ring tones for contacts and non contacts. When you chose non contact you could chose "no ring". It also had a function where you could block all calls not in your contacts. Why the EVO went backwards with this technology is beyond me. I was floored when I saw you pretty much have ZERO control of your incoming calls. I had to create a "silent ring" and set that for all calls then add special MP3's for my contacts. Very much a hassle. That and the fact that Sprint lied about 4G in my area are the only downsides. Otherwise, great phone.
  17. Dingus

Dingus Member

Just FYI to anyone who's interested; Sprint can now block numbers from calling you in their system. I don't know if there's a limit as to how many numbers you can block but it works.
    Cactus73 likes this.
  18. mcl1981

mcl1981 Well-Known Member

Hmm, I wonder, can I use Sprint's call blocking to block sprint's own annoying solicitation calls? :)
  19. jamesdean

jamesdean Well-Known Member