• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to buy an Incredible?

snoggish

May 14, 2010
Hey. Odd topic title, buuut I was wondering if it would be best for me to buy an Incredible off the Verizon site or in-store.
If I order it online, it seems that it'll take around 2 weeks for it to show up at my house, but I'll probably get it by then.
If I go to the local store, they SHOULD (according to 3 reps at 2 different stores) have it in stock by June 1st. I'm not really sure how reliable this is, as it might just be what they're told to say.
I was just wondering which of the two people would choose.

Hey. Odd topic title, buuut I was wondering if it would be best for me to buy an Incredible off the Verizon site or in-store.
If I order it online, it seems that it'll take around 2 weeks for it to show up at my house, but I'll probably get it by then.
If I go to the local store, they SHOULD (according to 3 reps at 2 different stores) have it in stock by June 1st. I'm not really sure how reliable this is, as it might just be what they're told to say.

thats a tough call. If you do get it online, at least you know you wont have to do a mail in rebate. but is it worth the possible wait?

A problem with buying it in store is you cant track the phone unless you call in and ask if they have a tracking number. And even when I was at the store today the lady told me the system wasn't updating so no one could check...

Upvote 0
Ordered mine directly off the Verizon website on 11 May. At that time the delivery/ship date was indicated as 29 May.

I'm coming off a Razor and my new-in-two date was up last October. Somehow the MotoDroid didn't sound right for me. Texting has always seemed like a major step BACKWARDS...I know, I know...I'm old school & didn't need the physical keyboard.

When I heard the Inc has a voice to text feature or an app for same, I decided I could/would deal with that and pulled the 'trigger' on ordering the DInc.

I anticipate a relatively large learning curve but at 55, am still trying to learn a thing or two each day.

Upvote 0
Don't know where you are located but I was at my local (North Carolina) Best Buy yesterday and just asked the guy and he said they had them in stock. so you might try there as well. Also I picked mine up at the store on the 29th when they were out of stock online so you may get lucky call around and see...or go to a smaller city.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I am going to order mine from Free Cell Phones with New Cell Phone Plans - Shop Deals from Wireless Carriers - Wirefly.com They have them for $149.99. They are on back order at the moment but they will start shipping in about 3 weeks. If you are new to Verizon you can also get a Motorola Droid for $9.99. I am going to get the Inc and get a Motorola Droid for the wife.

I can't discourage you enough from this. I know I haven't got any posts/credibility on this- but I ordered through newegg for my family and it was a fiasco- they didn't request ports/new numbers from verizon, and have since dissolved their phone tech support.

I didn't know wirefly ran the newegg ordering, so when I ordered incredibles for my wife and I, I wanted to get the bing cashback. However, this was an even greater disaster. They failed to ship the phones, and when they arrived, once again there was no port request for our numbers. (Wait 48 hours- chat assistant says). Then they assigned my wife a number that was already in use (wiat 48 more hours, chat assitant says). Then, when we pointed that out, they changed it (after the requisite 48hr waiting period) to a number in the wrong area code. After another 48 hour wait, they said that it would take 48 more hours to fix our problem. Every time we contacted them (via the worlds worst chat client that constantly crashes and causes you to have to reconnect to a totally different person), they said we would have our problem resolved in 48 hours. Even speaking to a manager didn't help. Finally, we called verizon (this is two weeks into our latest wirefly disaster) and they fixed everything over the phone in ten minutes- but now wirefly is trying to charge us a $300 penalty for not making account changes through them. Not that I'm worried about havign to actually pay it- I can decline charges until my mouse finger goes numb- but it's just one more hassle.

I would rather pay the off-contract price and wait six weeks for shipping than to deal with wirefly again.

If you take one thing away from this: wirefly doesn't deal directly with verizon, has NO phone support, and the chat center is located in India with the worst english speaking support assistants of any company I've ever dealt with. They only repeat company policies and have no real help to offer, and lack the authority to make any changes to your order or account. It may take you weeks of hassle and hours of frustration before you get your phones working.

Best buy and amazon have these phones disounted, and vzw is bound to have a BOGO soon (if not already). I would ask you to consider getting your phone somewhere else. Whatever you pay over wirefly's price will be made up in time, effort, and frustration avoided.

Upvote 0
Daksin, I hope it goes without saying that this is highly unusual and frankly sounds like a horrible experience. I've sent you a private message as I would like to research your order to fill in the blanks, find out what happened, and try to make things right.

UPDATE: I understand that everything has been resolved with your account. It appears that your order ran into a minefield of complications. You ordered the phones online without requesting to port phone numbers, so we processed it with Verizon Wireless as a new number request. Verizon Wireless then started a free activation promotion after the order had been processed. You contacted us after the order was processed to try to get the promotion added after-the-fact, and to add the request for porting your phone numbers. Our agent tried to help you get the promotion by cancelling and placing the order again, but this was against policy and caused problems with your number port. We have addressed this as a training opportunity with the individuals involved. As I understand it, everything is fixed now, you've received your promotions, and nobody is trying to collect any further fees from you. Please let me know if that is not the case, as we do want to make sure you are satisfied and prevent such occurences in the future.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones