• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to bypass "tethering block" on Three network?

The point is that Three allow tethering on their phone contracts, but charge extra on all but one of their SIM contracts. It's deep in the small print.

I'm trying to do get round this with FoxFi, without much success. I wonder if some phones will reveal what you are doing, whatever your APN or user agent. I notice on my Alcatel One Touch (Android 4.2.2) that when I activate the FoxFi wifi hotspot, anything I do (before they warn me off) is logged by the phone as Tethering, under Data Usage.

It looks like the phone recognises FoxFi just the same as Android tethering.

That makes me think FoxFi is never going to work.

Upvote 0
Looking for some advice

I am trying to tether my phone (s4) to my laptop and keep getting the error page not found. Now is this because they are blocking me or something else?

Tried windows 7 and 8 laptops. I can tether no problems to my tablet and other phone.

I'm on the Ultimate Internet SIM 200 1 month and been so for around 18 months now.

Any advice would be great.

Upvote 0
Hey guys I have used over 350gig in under a month that was on a iPhone 5 i only got a msg you have run out of data but I would disconnect then reconnect it would work fine... I have never ever had a block I think my total data use was around 700 gigs space of three months.. Also i do have a real old three SIM it's about ten+ years old but three hasn't blocked my WiFi hotspot on my note 3 I only now use it here and there ??

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looking for some advice

I am trying to tether my phone (s4) to my laptop and keep getting the error page not found. Now is this because they are blocking me or something else?

Tried windows 7 and 8 laptops. I can tether no problems to my tablet and other phone.

I'm on the Ultimate Internet SIM 200 1 month and been so for around 18 months now.

Any advice would be great.

How are you connecting your tethering hotspot ? And which browser are you using ???

Upvote 0
700 Giga bites a month!!!!!!

what are you doing???

if I push it.. force it...
if I watched 2 movies.. surf.. listen to music... every day.
then SLEEP and WORK.
I might do 5 GB a day...for about 150GB a month.

but I only do about 2.5 gb a month! on my mobile data.
but I might consume another 40-80GB on my home/work broadband a month.

Upvote 0
Three can only tell if the device is being tethered or not due to the traffic from the browser right? because obviously desktop browsers and mobile browsers have different strings. My question is what if you tether the phone to a laptop and use the data on multiplayer games? Will Three be able to tell them apart then?

Upvote 0
Three can only tell if the device is being tethered or not due to the traffic from the browser right?

Nope.

because obviously desktop browsers and mobile browsers have different strings. My question is what if you tether the phone to a laptop and use the data on multiplayer games? Will Three be able to tell them apart then?

Here is a pretty comprehensive list of what the carriers *can* do. As to what they *do* do, you can take a guess with the rest of us. ;) Seriously, though, if they see a lot of data consumption tipping one or more of their monitoring triggers, they are going to take a closer look at the account.

Just think of it this way ... if you are using their network, they can look at everything that goes through it.

Upvote 0
Pay for a tethering plan?

Not everyone can afford to pay for a tethering plan. Apart from your negative answer which is feeding right into the hands of this greedy scheme, the thread is about how to bypass/tether for free.

I have a 3 dongle with 15 gig allowance and a 3 sim only deal with 'Unlimited Data' allowance. Ive been with 3 for several years now on various different phones and packages/deals. Once upon a time you could tether until the network started to grow its numbers and buckle under its own success.

Why should I have to pay extra when the network is struggling due to congestion ? It won't speed up if I upgrade my package.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Not everyone can afford to pay for a tethering plan. Apart from your negative answer which is feeding right into the hands of this greedy scheme, the thread is about how to bypass/tether for free.

Just because you can't afford something, doesn't necessarily mean you're entitled to something.

IMO this thread should really be called...How to legally bypass "tethering block" Three network, and any discussion must be legal and comply with forum rules, e.g. nothing fraudulent. You are welcome to try anything that has already been suggested in this lengthy, long running thread. :)

FWIW it's 7 years since I've been a 3 UK customer. They were cheap, but never found their service to be particularly good, service reps that could hardly speak English, data was frequently slow, calls were often cut-off.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not everyone can afford to pay for a tethering plan.
Okay, so by this logic, I cannot afford a Lamborghini; so you're saying it's acceptable for me to steal one?

Apart from your negative answer which is feeding right into the hands of this greedy scheme, the thread is about how to bypass/tether for free.
My answer wasn't negative lol... You didn't mention in the OP that you cannot afford a tethering plan. Paying for a tethering plan is a legitimate (and the simplest) method to bypass the tethering block.

I'm not saying I disagree. I think tethering should be included in your data plan. You're paying for the data, and you should be able to use it. A tethering plan essentially makes you pay twice for your data plan but doesn't increase the amount of data you get. It's ridiculous. If you have to pay for tethering, it should at least come with tethering data separate from your mobile data.

Why should I have to pay extra when the network is struggling due to congestion ? It won't speed up if I upgrade my package.
Because the fact is, that's the way it is; whether you like it or not... Just because you don't agree with something doesn't mean you can just do whatever you want. Life doesn't work that way. You can argue that murder is acceptable until you're blue in the face but it doesn't change the fact that if you murder someone, you'll be put away.

While bypassing tethering restrictions may not be illegal, it's a breach of your contract and if they wanted to they could terminate your contract . And also charge you any early termination fees, etc. that go along with ending your contract early.

I personally could care less if you bypass tether. That's between you, your carrier and your conscience. It's just that, as a representative of the site, I'm not going to post instructions on how to break your carrier's TOS. We allow discussion of it on the site and there are many threads about it. Surely you could find several threads here on free tethering. I'll tell you one thing though; you'll probably need to root your device to get free tethering.

Upvote 0
I don't know what is the problem for the carrier in tethering? After all I am using my own data allowance, whether it is by one device or several.

The assumption that all data is equal is "the problem".

Your data allowance is based on usage via a single device. Users tethering tend to use more bandwidth as they consume more content. which is why networks generally charge more for tethering.

Upvote 0
I agree that unlimited should mean unlimited whether its a pc/tablet thats using the data or a phone but i understand why the networks/carriers would block it (so that they can make more money from tethering or dongle plans)
Having said that, after maybe 2years with Three p&g £15 p/m add-on, im still getting free tethering.
Are other people not?

Upvote 0
The assumption that all data is equal is "the problem".

Your data allowance is based on usage via a single device. Users tethering tend to use more bandwidth as they consume more content. which is why networks generally charge more for tethering.
Thanks for your reply. Then why they are allowing more devices connected to my mifi device but not allowing tethering? If I put my sim in mobile router, I can connect 5 to 10 devices but if I put the sim in my mobile, I can't tether a single device.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply. Then why they are allowing more devices connected to my mifi device but not allowing tethering? If I put my sim in mobile router, I can connect 5 to 10 devices but if I put the sim in my mobile, I can't tether a single device.

Something that was posted earlier..

"Your Phone asks your network if tethering is allowed"

"Your phone tells your network that you are tethering"

I would guess it's the second one. Possibly the Mifi isn't doing it, given that it's a data only device and all it can do is tethering.

Upvote 0
Something that was posted earlier..

"Your Phone asks your network if tethering is allowed"

"Your phone tells your network that you are tethering"

I would guess it's the second one. Possibly the Mifi isn't doing it, given that it's a data only device and all it can do is tethering.
But when I use the same data sim in my phone then I can't do tethering.
I TAKE IT SIMPLY AS THE CROOKEDNESS OF THE CARRIERS. Otherwise I don't see any difference between using the sim in mobile router or phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones