How to cancel the system update?General

1. sa330206

sa330206 New Member

I typically keep my background sync off to avoid un-necessary updates on my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S2. I currently have the stock OS on it (Gingerbread I think). Yesterday to download a new app from the play store I had to turn back on background sync. While looking around the phone automatically downloaded the ICS update (4.0.4). Now I keep getting a notification "Android System Update downloaded and verified." I can only select "Install Now" or "Install Later." Even when I pick "Install Later" it prompts me every 15 min or so to update. How do I cancel this update? I've heard horrible things about the ICS update and don't want to mess up my phone. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Netcat

Netcat Well-Known Member

I also kept getting the ICS upgrade notification and did NOT want to install it. I read this somewhere around here, I think in the all things root section. Try this... it worked for me.

Next time that notification pops up, click on "More Info", then immediately pull your battery, wait for 5 minutes, re-install battery, and start up the phone. The pop up reminder should be gone.
    nchargreed likes this.
  3. nchargreed

nchargreed Well-Known Member

Not sure how or WHY this works, but I tried this trick back in November and just realized today that I've not received a single "upgrade" pop-up, since. THANKS!!
  4. Netcat

Netcat Well-Known Member

Glad it worked for you. I too haven't received any update notifications since I did this trick.