• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to change build.prop from computer (not from phone using root explorer)

I was trying to change my phone model (from admire to nexus s) in the build.prop a week or so ago in order to try to run the "watch espn" app (which did not work). I forgot to change it back after it didn't work and this morning I rebooted my phone and now I am stuck at the start up animation. When I turn my phone sideways (landscape) I can see that my phone is trying to work as a nexus s (which it is not). Therefore, I somehow need to get back into the build.prop to make the simple change back to admire, just not using the phone since it is stuck on the startup animation. Also, I am 99% sure that I backed up everything using cwm recovery v5.0.2.7 as well as titanium backup but all backups seem to be missing or I just can't find them. I'm also pretty sure that I have the old build.prop backed up on my sd card if that helps. Any help on how to fix this is greatly appreciated!

Samsung Admire-Rooted
Monster 4 Rom

If you need anymore info just let me know. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!!

Nevermind the previous post. My new problem is that in cmd my device is not found when I type in "adb devices". Do you guys have any tips for this? I installed to drivers for the admire numerous times and I am certain that phone is properly connected via usb to my computer since the phone shows that it is charging. Thank you for the help!

Upvote 0
I'm new to doing things with a rooted phone and am not sure the best place to post this, but it seems related to this thread.

Sunday this week (12 Aug 2012), I successfully rooted my phone using Steps 1 to 9 of the following page.

[HOW TO] Fix the "Low on space" problem (in plain English) - xda-developers

I have Droid Incredible with Gingerbread 2.3.4 and it keeps trying to push me the "4.08.605.15" OTA update I don't want to install. Rather than hitting the "Later" button every time it pops up a reminder, I wanted to get it to stop reminding me.

So with Root Explorer, I mounted "/system" to R/W and opened "build.prop" with the text editor function of Root Explorer and changed the "ro.build.fingerprint" entry from "185897.2" to "264040" as described here.

How to disable Verizon's OTA updates - xda-developers

When I selected Save and Exit from the text editor menu, "build.prop" seems to have disappeared from "/system" and there is a zero-length "backup" copy named "build.prop.bak" created by the editor.

So far, the phone seems to be working okay, but I am afraid to restart it now.

I have a copy of the pre-edit "build.prop" saved on my SD card and have it copied to my laptop as well.

Trying to copy it back to "/system" via Root Explorer does not seem to work. I don't get any error, but the file does not appear either.

Anyone have a suggestion for the simplest way to get "droid.prop" restored to the "/system" folder?

Or maybe it's really there and I just can't see it.

Is there anything that will get me into trouble with a missing "build.prop" file other than restarting the phone?

Thanks, Bill
Wed, 15 Aug 2012, 4:35 pm EDT

Upvote 0
I'm new to doing things with a rooted phone and am not sure the best place to post this, but it seems related to this thread.

Sunday this week (12 Aug 2012), I successfully rooted my phone using Steps 1 to 9 of the following page.

[HOW TO] Fix the "Low on space" problem (in plain English) - xda-developers

I have Droid Incredible with Gingerbread 2.3.4 and it keeps trying to push me the "4.08.605.15" OTA update I don't want to install. Rather than hitting the "Later" button every time it pops up a reminder, I wanted to get it to stop reminding me.

So with Root Explorer, I mounted "/system" to R/W and opened "build.prop" with the text editor function of Root Explorer and changed the "ro.build.fingerprint" entry from "185897.2" to "264040" as described here.

How to disable Verizon's OTA updates - xda-developers

When I selected Save and Exit from the text editor menu, "build.prop" seems to have disappeared from "/system" and there is a zero-length "backup" copy named "build.prop.bak" created by the editor.

So far, the phone seems to be working okay, but I am afraid to restart it now.

I have a copy of the pre-edit "build.prop" saved on my SD card and have it copied to my laptop as well.

Trying to copy it back to "/system" via Root Explorer does not seem to work. I don't get any error, but the file does not appear either.

Anyone have a suggestion for the simplest way to get "droid.prop" restored to the "/system" folder?

Or maybe it's really there and I just can't see it.

Is there anything that will get me into trouble with a missing "build.prop" file other than restarting the phone?

Thanks, Bill
Wed, 15 Aug 2012, 4:35 pm EDT

wrong forum guy

Upvote 0
Just after posting, I remembered that I had done a Nandroid backup with CWM two days ago, so I did a restore and got my original "build.prop" back in the "/system" folder that way, at the minor expense of losing a couple of days of call and text history and needing to reinstall a couple of apps.

I guess pressing "Install Later" every once in awhile isn't so bad after all.

I'll do more research before trying to edit "build.prop" again.

Thanks, Bill
Wed, 15 Aug 2012, 5:09 pm EDT

Upvote 0
Just after posting, I remembered that I had done a Nandroid backup with CWM two days ago, so I did a restore and got my original "build.prop" back in the "/system" folder that way, at the minor expense of losing a couple of days of call and text history and needing to reinstall a couple of apps.

I guess pressing "Install Later" every once in awhile isn't so bad after all.

I'll do more research before trying to edit "build.prop" again.

Thanks, Bill
Wed, 15 Aug 2012, 5:09 pm EDT

Check out FOTAkill Bill :)

Upvote 0
sir i am using micromax funbook talk p350:thinking: tablet ics tablet 4.0.3 ,and want to work some game loft games on it.and for this i have to change my model number from micromax funbook talk p350 .to samsung gt-i9100 or any other ,but sir i want to tell you that by using es file explorer i succesfully change my ,buil.prop and model number to 2nd.but in settings it remains as first as micromax funbook p350,and in build.prop file its says that device model is samsung gt-i9100,and after changing the build.prop file and when for changes to be done i restart my tab ,and one more file in system folder (build.prop.bak ) pop up on automatticaly in system folder,,,,,, sir plz help ,me how i let the changes and change my device model number in build.prop,succesfully .and after mc3 works.please
please please
thanks in advance

Upvote 0
Please help me i have s4 gti9506.so i rooted my phone using kingroot from my laptop and then i had to factory data reset for personal reasons.when i opened my phone the super user was gone. my system said it was custom but i coudnt get root access and i cant turn off my navigation bar.basically my phone is custom but i cant do anything to change my buildprop because i dont have root access.so i need your help to change my buildprop so i can turn off my navigation bar.

Upvote 0
First of all, I'm sorry for my bad english.

My Samsung S5 Dou Android device is rooted and I was trying to edit the "build.prop" file in root directory and inside it, i edit the SDK Version which is from 19 into 23, then after I rebooted it, all the apps even the file manager i use to edit the file were stopped working so now I cannot edit or back the file into its original and i tried to format the device because I thought it would work to avoid the stopped working or the error were gone, but unfortunately its not working, it's still showing the popup :< My problem is, I cannot really use the phone because all the settings or apps are not working :< I tried to use drfone or other phone formatter but its still not working because its need to enable the USB Debugging and I cannot enable it because even the settings will stopped :< Anyone there know to fix my phone? :< This is my only phone givin from my grandfather :< Thank you guys and sorry for this complain :< Thank you!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones