How to change default browser?

1. Verio

Verio Active Member

So, I downloaded an external browser... and I would like to use it as my default, so if I click on a link, it opens it up in the new browser.

Is there a way to go about doing this?

Thank you.

Advertisement
    :
  2. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

if you get a link in your email, rss feed etc it should pop up asking you what browser you want to open it up in, click open as default tick box and select your new browser.
  3. Verio

Verio Active Member

Unfortunately, it doesn't provide me that option. It just opens it, inside of the default browser.
  4. Josh0187

Josh0187 Well-Known Member

You could always uninstall the default browser.
  5. 28064212

28064212 Well-Known Member

Not unless it's rooted, and probably wouldn't be a good idea even if it was.

Open Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> Browser and click "Clear Defaults". Then when you open up your link, it should ask you to choose your default
  6. Jazzerather

Jazzerather Active Member

Interesting, but on Samsung Galaxy there is no option to do this. The default option in default browser is greyed out and I wanted to use Opera mini as a default but there I found the same, I cannot select it as default. Is there a solution for that?
  7. erbug

erbug New Member

I have a HTC Hero. I've had it about two weeks. Originally, when I installed multiple programs to do the same thing it would give me the option to choose which one to perform the action. It would also give me the option to check a box if I would like to make it my default action. Not anymore. I would like to replace the browser as well but also find the default box in settings grayed out and it reads... "no default set." Any ideas?
  8. 28064212

28064212 Well-Known Member

I don't think you can set Opera Mini as a default browser. Why, I don't know, but it doesn't show up as option for default even when there are two or more options. It doesn't register with Android as a browser
    Do you have two or more browsers installed? Go to each one of them in "manage applications" and clear the defaults from each of them. Then open the default browser and click a link (any link). It should give you an option to set as default then
  9. srbansal

srbansal New Member

I faced similar issue and able to resolve:
    I got following options:
    1. Open Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> Internet
    2. Open Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> Opera

Navigated here and clicked "Clear defaults".
    When I opened up a link next time, it asked me to choose default browser.
  10. tc4all

tc4all New Member

SAme problem but I only see settings>Application manager> then a list of Google Play services, goolge play store, myat&t, opera Mobile, s suggest, and youtube. All have Clear Defaults greyed out. I tried with chrome as well but whatever the standard browser is, always opens as the default. Any thoughts? This is the intuitive part that makes you run to an iPhone.
  11. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Well-Known Member

12. euph_22

euph_22 Well-Known Member

Install or uninstall a browser. That will clear the current default preference and let you choose a new one.
  13. GuitarG20

GuitarG20 Clueless Senior Member Contributor

Another option (depending on what version of android you are running) is to go into Settings>App Associations> And there should be options for things such as URLs and map addresses. (I am on android 4.0.4 so maybe it's not available on earlier versions, I can't remember)
    jeepsteve92xj likes this.