• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to change gmail account password on my Android?

rzozaya1969

May 18, 2011
Mexico
I did the two step security on my Google account. I had to download the Google Authenticator app from the Market, and then I set the code.

At the end of the process in google, I had to create application specific passwords, so I created a new one for my Phone.

However, gmail then had a special password for android, but I wasn't able to change the password on my phone. Or probably, didn't find out where to do it.

I don't think that I should do a Factory Reset to set my new passcode (okay, I did it, but didn't know what else to try). I then was able to set the account with the new password, but had to download all my apps from the market (I didn't had than many).

But I just don't think that I need to do a factory reset everytime I change my gmail password, there should be a place to do it.

I'm running on 2.2 (Froyo).

Thanks.

Once you activate the 2-step authentication, and generate an application specific password for your Android phone, your Android phone should automatically prompt you for the new password, within ~1 - 3 minutes after that, if the Android device is connected via wifi or 3G / 4G.

I was connected to Wifi. I didn't get that request, just errors when I tried to sync my info. I tried everywhere to change the password and didn't find it. I really think that there should be an option to change account password, it would be weird if there wasn't...

Upvote 0
Did you try turning the phone off and back on? Or turning data off / on (wifi off / on, etc)?

I agree it would be nice to be able to initiate a password change on your gmail on the phone, but the way it works is pretty nice right now too - most Android phones will automatically sense that the password changed, and prompt you to enter the new password.

If you're using a GSM phone, even taking out the SIM card, putting a new SIM card, will automatically sign you out of Gmail and require you to sign back in.

In a way it's nice because if you lost your phone, a stranger couldn't change your gmail password on the phone itself, so it provides a degree of protection, requiring you to initiate the password change on the web via a PC, and having the second part of the log-in, the 6 digit code, on the phone.

Upvote 0
Did you try turning the phone off and back on? Or turning data off / on (wifi off / on, etc)?

I agree it would be nice to be able to initiate a password change on your gmail on the phone, but the way it works is pretty nice right now too - most Android phones will automatically sense that the password changed, and prompt you to enter the new password.

If you're using a GSM phone, even taking out the SIM card, putting a new SIM card, will automatically sign you out of Gmail and require you to sign back in.

In a way it's nice because if you lost your phone, a stranger couldn't change your gmail password on the phone itself, so it provides a degree of protection, requiring you to initiate the password change on the web via a PC, and having the second part of the log-in, the 6 digit code, on the phone.

Well, I didn't mean to say to change the gmail password access on the site from my phone, but change the stored password to access the account.

I don't know why it didn't link, but I didn't thought to turn off and on to see if that fixed it.

I'll redo the process and see if that works.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones