How to change gmail account without factory reset?Support

1. akhran

akhran New Member

When I tried to remove (settings->accounts & sync) the gmail account that was used during the initial phone setup, it prompted this message ->

Remove account
    This account is required by some applications. You can only delete it by resetting the phone to factory defaults.

I would like to change it to another gmail account. Is such a drastic move (reset to factory default) necessary? Any workaround?

Thanks !

Advertisement
    :
  2. nofear

nofear Well-Known Member

You can change to a gmail online no problem.you can change it also on the Android market on your mobile via the 'help' link once you've pressed options.

You can also change it on your mail address settings.

You will need to do a hard rest to get talk to work though and download from the market.

Hope this helps
  3. nofear

nofear Well-Known Member

You can change to a gmail online no problem.you can change it also on the Android market on your mobile via the 'help' link once you've pressed options.

You can also change it on your mail address settings.

You will need to do a hard rest to get talk to work though and download from the market.

Hope this helps
  4. marky9074

marky9074 Well-Known Member

I wanted to do the same... never found an answer.. :(
  5. Akalatengo

Akalatengo Well-Known Member

I don't think you can change googlemail to gmail without a hardreset for now, but I'm sure google will sort this out for us sooner or later
  6. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Yup Google are working on an app or server fix
  7. SurfXombie

SurfXombie Well-Known Member

Having done this I can say that the HTC backup will not save you from havving to restore all your apps and settings 9takes about an hour). I would recomend trying a free trial of something like MyBackup pro so you can restore more of your phones settings/data after the reset.
  8. wes4real

wes4real Member

and yet another reason i'm going back to an iPhone. I hate apple and itunes even more but these android phones are garbage!
    Hard reset just to change an email linked to the market? So many things these phones can't do half as simple as an iPhone.

Sorry but it's just how i feel lol.
  9. GrenW

GrenW Well-Known Member

This post is over a year old. The solution is now on the Google help pages.

Read up before sounding off!
  10. wes4real

wes4real Member

11. RamenNinja

RamenNinja New Member

How about posting the link for that please?
  12. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Welcome to AF! I had to edit your post a little, it wasn't really worded correctly, I hope you understand. We've a pretty simple rule around here, that's to attack issues, not each other. You've probably not had time to read them yet, but our site rules and guidelines are here: http://androidforums.com/introductions/704-site-rules-guidelines.html. They should give you a pretty good idea of how we roll here at AF.

Are you having a problem with the gmail account similar to that of the OP? SiHa posted a link which should get you sorted. If not, post in a respectful manner and we'll see what we can do to assist.
    SUroot and lunatic59 like this.
  13. Chitransh S

Chitransh S Member

Guys this will surely help you if u r wanting to delete your account completely.....
    Check this out...
    1. Download the application Root Explorer from Android Market
    2. Once already downloaded or installed the Root Explorer,
    Explore to /data/system/ and find this file : accounts.db
    3. Delete that file (accounts.db)
    4. Reboot your Android device.
    5. Then you can register another account again....
    Have Fun...
  14. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

You will need to be rooted to do that.
  15. Chitransh S

Chitransh S Member

Yes my Friend you must have a rooted phone for this....:) But i think maximum of the members in this forum have rooted phones...That's why i posted the above method...
  16. nicka3200

nicka3200 Well-Known Member

You're probably correct that most users of this forum are rooted but it is usual to list any pre-requisites in the instructions.
  17. wpw

wpw New Member

After approx 2 years, the link posted by SiHa is no longer available.
    Solution please? -Without rooting.
  18. spicy_guy

spicy_guy New Member

I am looking for a solution too. I have 4 gmail accounts setup in my Gingerbread version of Android Phone. I left a company a couple days ago, Now I want to remove that account.
    When I press Remove Account, it says, I need to do Factory Reset. I don't want to do that.