How to change gmail password on phone?

1. thahim

thahim Well-Known Member

I have changed my gmail accounts password, and want to change it on my device I tried from Settings>>Accounts but there I found no option to change password.

Please help.

Advertisement
  2. nyydynasty

nyydynasty Well-Known Member

i have yet to change my password but if I'm not mistaken, as soon as your gmail app fails to sync with the servers (because of the pwd mismatch), it should notify you. When you click on that notification, it will give you the option to change your password.

if you haven't gotten that notification, try to turn off the gmail auto sync and turn it back on. That should force it to resync.
  3. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

That should sort.

Alternatively, if you open the Gmail app, that should bring up the change your password box too.
    thahim likes this.
  4. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy VIP Member

I can confirm this is the case. As soon as it fails to sync, you'll get a notification icon with the message "Sync error with <email address>". You click the notification and it gives you a password prompt.

You can also just hit "Sync all" or the "Sync" button in the Gmail account that the password changed.
  5. Cynastar

Cynastar New Member

Choose email, press and hold on the account you need to change. A menu will pop up with the following options: open, compose, refresh, account settings and remove account. Press account settings. Go to Incoming settings. This shows your user name and password. Change your password here.
    thahim likes this.
  6. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Well-Known Member

I set up my synced accounts from the PC end, then followed with the droid, maybe that&#8217;s worth a try?
    thahim likes this.
  7. bcddd214

bcddd214 New Member

HOWTO fix google - android password error (YES, it's hidden!).

#1Goto your @EMAIL for Android (not the one for gmail and not in your account settings).
    mine has a green @ symbols and just says email. this is your android mail area.

#2 select the email account in error and then hit your menu tab (one of the 4 keys on the phone), goto -> 'more', goto -> account settings -> goto incoming, -> change your new password here 'BUT YOUR NOT DONE', for gmail change port to 993, change security type to SSL, click next. It SHOULD go through now. the ssl setting and port number do NOT default to you mail provider if they use non standard ports like gmail.
    YOUR STILL NOT DONE!
    #3 Goto -> Outgoing, change port to 587 and TLS, changed your password here TOO!
    Click next and your password errors should be gone now. Adjust these port settings for your provider if you are having errors with someone other than gmail.
    Hopes this helps. I had to figure it out on my own because there was NOTHING on the web that worked and I had to find the forced feed. Good luck!
    Osuzannah likes this.
  8. Bill23707

Bill23707 New Member

I researched this for a while and tried several ideas posted here. Nothing worked so I went to the source, almighty google. This seems to be the answer i was looking for and maybe many of you as well. I can't post the link becasue I'm a new user, more stupid sh.... Any way, google "application specific passwords". It populates a password that restored google on my LG. Give it a try.
    Cheers
    thahim likes this.
  9. Dirty330

Dirty330 Member

I had the same issue... All i did was attempt to connect to the android market and I logged in with my gmail account and new passwords. It walked me through the authentication and sync process. Easy fix.
    elgaber and thahim like this.
  10. thahim

thahim Well-Known Member

thanks every one :) problem solved
  11. Osuzannah

Osuzannah New Member

THANKS! This works!
  12. donpatchi

donpatchi Member

Hi, When I checked this method out on the google-help-mail-password isn't working" page it said password recovery is not yet available on the mobile apps. :(
  13. donpatchi

donpatchi Member

This didn't work either, and while I was there I saw a message that "sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly". That was yesterday.
    The same thing is going on with my Twitter acct.
  14. donpatchi

donpatchi Member

This is not about activating the phone, it's about the different mail sites, (and other apps), not "recognizing" the new phone. After tons of research, I found that because my phone is an Android, I needed to create an "Application-specific Authorization" code. I had to go to my gmail and settings to deactivate the one from my old phone, and create a new one. Wa-la. Now every body knows the phone is "legal" It's part of Google's 2 step Authentic password process.
  15. elgaber

elgaber New Member

I tried several of the options posted here, the only one that worked and was VERY SIMPLE solution, is to enter to android market, follow the instructions and that is it, this makes gmail and all the applications related to your gmail account to work again!

Thanks dirty330
  16. ucantzme

ucantzme New Member

No it doesn't work!!!!!!
    I Clicked on the Market Icon, "Yeah!" I thought! I was prompted for the new Gmail password. I entered it. Then I touched "HOME" and "GMAIL" I am allowed to signin with an existing account. If I put in my new password, I get error "Sync is currently experiencing probmems". I've been getting this same error message for 1 week. If enter my old password or a wrong password, I get "Your username and password do not match". Gmail will not allow me to switch back to a password that has been used previously. All other apps open now, just not GMAIL I guess it's too late to say this, but: Hey guys don't change your gmail password!!!!!! RP
  17. ucantzme

ucantzme New Member

I have a "Gmail" icon and one that looks like and envelope it just says "MAIL" That one has no accounts listed.
  18. alexyamane

alexyamane New Member

Hi folks,

I had changed my password for my gmail account, and for the life of me, no matter what I did, it did not work. I didn't get a popup password error, and my gmail app would still pull down emails, just not send them. What it came down to is, I had another email address in the Android default account for myname@mydomain.com which was also a Gmail for business account. Since my two accounts are linked (evidently), and I had not changed my password for my work email, only my personal myname@gmail.com password, for some reason, the @email (default email app with work email) worked fine, but my gmail app didn't.

Solution: Go and update the other linked account's password to match that of your @gmail.com account. Then update the email per any of the methods above, and voila! The gmail app started sending out emails again. Hope this helps anyone with the same frustrating issue I had!

Alex
  19. smurph1

smurph1 Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me, which method here works, as I am having great difficulty in resetting password into my dads phone....and have tried all options here.

Gmail & Google Play don't do it, and changing it in stock mail app won,t complete!!

Di I have to delete account somewhere, and re-enter?
  20. lwin mar oo

lwin mar oo New Member

Hi

I can't log in my gmail account. I had changed my new pass word.But my phone can't log in. If I put in my new password, I get error "Sync is currently experiencing probmems". I've been getting this same error message for 1 week. If enter my old password or a wrong password, I get "Your username and password do not match". Gmail will not allow me to switch back to a password that has been used previously. All other apps open now, just not GMAIL .Someone help me.:confused:

Lwin
  21. MancBlue

MancBlue New Member

I had to delete the account and add it again. It was the only way my device would let me change the password! :confused:
  22. waltermunich

waltermunich New Member

Here's the SOLUTION I succeeded with right now, using ANDROID 2.3.6

In >Processes (or Applications) select >All

Scroll to "Google Play-Services" >"Deinstall all Updates"
    (I suppose this was not the clue, I just like to annex it here as I did so.
    I will shurly not go thru all of that steps again to find out if this step is essential.
    You may either do asame or try out omitting it)

Now to absolutely all starting with "Google ...", eg. "Google Backup Transport" "Google Calender" etc.:

>"Force to stop" aaaand (here it comes)
    >"Data" >"Delete Data"
    As done so with the last "Google ..." item immediately a Popup appeared, asking me for the (new) gmail Password.

All steps above were translated in english, I hope the menu items will be similar to those I translated, pls. apologize for any tranlation errors. Find the original german version below:

In >Anwendungen >All
    erst mal bei "Google Play-Dienste" >"Deinstallieren aller Updates"
    (was vermutlich nichts bringt, nur der Vollst
    norgen and Tychon like this.
  23. droman1007

droman1007 New Member

Turn of 2nd verification on your gmail settings on your computer. Instantly worked for me.
  24. perih

perih New Member

logging into Google Play worked - a password prompt came up.

The email passowrd solution someone else suggested didn't work. Apparently, email (pop) and google accounts are totally separate and don't share login credentials.