how to change google nav voice?Support

Last Updated:

1. daklepto

daklepto Member This Topic's Starter

is there anyway to change the nav voice? I did some searching and people with the regular droid said that you go to settings -> text to speech and can change it there (i changed it to british eng) but I did that and the nav voice is still regular english?

Can anyone else try this and confirm if it works or not?

Advertisement
  2. Sherman

Sherman Member

Man - I guess I'm the only person whose nav application won't make a sound!
    The directions are great and I love the graphics, but the nice direction lady has never spoken to me.

Is this because of my Task Killer?

3. Tech Addiction

Tech Addiction Well-Known Member

When you are in the Nav program, did you turn the volume up? Everything has a separate volume setting. When you have the media player on the volume says media volume, in Nav it says Nav Volume or something like that. Check your volume.

Sherman likes this.
  4. Sherman

Sherman Member

Thanks Tech Addition, but I can't find a volume setting in the Nav program. In settings, I do see the Mute/Unmute option, and when I've muted just to unmute, it shows my volume at the max. I'm certain I'm doing something goofy, but I can't figure it out.

5. Mandrew

Mandrew Well-Known Member

Just press the vol. up button while navigating. There's no slider bar in the app or anything.

Sherman likes this.
  6. Tech Addiction

The volume on the side of the phone becomes the volume for the App your using.

Edit I guess we posted at the same time lol.

7. Sherman

Sherman Member

LOL - That was my first thought after reading your post. I just hopped in the car and drove a brief route (to make sure i came up on a point where she should say something), an manually turned the volume up to the max.

I could hear the "ding, ding, ding" as I turned up the volume, but she was completely silent.

Hope I don't have a bad unit. I've loaded about $10 in software. Could be worse, I guess.

8. Outatime

Outatime Well-Known Member Contributor

Sherman you could try a battery pull too. After the 4.2.0 (I think it was) upgrade I was having a problem with the voice cutting out. ?? Worth a try.

I kind of like the voice that's on it. I feel like Steven Hawking is giving me driving directions.

Sherman likes this.
  9. Sherman

Sherman Member

Thanks for the suggestion @Outatime. Unfortunately, it didn't work. I've even uninstalled Automatic Task Killer thinking that it might have been the issue, but still no dice.

I think I've fully traversed that short road to my wits end.

10. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

Your purchases are tied to your google account. If you replace your phone, put in your google account and your purchases can be downloaded again.

Sherman likes this.
  11. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

It should speak to you right away when you enter in a destination. Mine usually says something like take a right at 6th avenue or something similar depending on where i choose to navigate to.

Sherman likes this.
  12. Sherman

Sherman Member

Thanks for that reminder. I am easily within 30 days of my purchases, so I guess there's no risk there.

That's good to know. I guess I've been wasting effort thinking I had to actually be in transit for it to initiate.

Man...I still love the phone, but this just bothers the heck out of me. :)

13. Tech Addiction

Any updates Sherman?

14. daklepto

so..anybody successfully able to get a voice other than US english to work in the nav?

15. DataSchmuck

DataSchmuck Active Member

I've had the british chick telling me where to go. I set it up that way right from the start. She has a really hard time pronouncing some common street words correctly, makes for a good laugh. I live in USA but wanted something other than default voice, so I set british to override all apps.

16. slsanita

slsanita New Member

Are there mens voices as well, or just the female voice. I find the default voice very annoying.

17. daklepto

where do you go to do this? Is it under the same settings -> text to speech?

18. BradGfromBoo

BradGfromBoo Well-Known Member

Ya.... how do you have British English in all apps? where did you find this setting?

19. BradGfromBoo

BradGfromBoo Well-Known Member

There is a checkbox "Always use my settings" which says it will override application settings, however i still have the same voice in google nav.... lame

20. Boomstk

Boomstk Well-Known Member

I really wish we could get Darth Vader or Homer Simpson for voices like they do for Tom Tom's.

sheepforwheat likes this.
  21. Sherman

Sherman Member

I apologize. Been out of commission for a while. But yes - I took my phone to a local Verizon store and the tech looked at it, looked at me, smiled, clicked up the volume button and the navigation lady was talking!

I was completely dumfounded, because knew I'd kicked up the volume to max while in navigation mode, but I was too pleased to concentrate on being confused:)

Thanks once again for all of you who offered your assistance. You were all 100% right!!

I am absolutely LOVING this phone!