How to change my Google Play region?

Last Updated: 2014-02-13 23:24:45
  1. Elgar

Elgar New Member

Hi, I want to which switch my Google Play region, I haven't routed and have no intentions of doing so. How do I accomplish this? And please make sure the method is up to date.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. I think your Google Play region is determined by pre-installed firmware and depends on where you bought the device. I'm not sure it can be easily hacked.
  3. Elgar

Elgar New Member

Hacked? Who said anything about hacking? What if I didn't speak english and wanted to access apps in my language? On iOS this isn't a big deal, you just make a new account with the country you want, but on android your locked into US or whatever country you bought it in. What happened to Android being "Open"?
  4. deltaforce

deltaforce Well-Known Member

I am so with you. I bought my One X in India and I am locked to India and won't let me use any other service than Google Play store !!
  5. Elgar

Elgar New Member

And you shouldn't be able to "facepalms" What I'm speaking of is the region lock put on Google Play, which means if you buy a phone in america, you have access to american apps, thats it. You would still be accessing apps through Google Play though, I'm pretty sure thats standard for all countries.
  6. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

All countries use Google Play. There are only different content per country. I think it also has to do with contract bound phones, because that phone is being identified as for a specific country.
  7. Omegajester

Omegajester New Member

You need to use a proxy is you wish to use Google's other services. Google it.

To change regions (to access, let's say, other apps) , use Market Enabler to do so. It will let you choose what company to fake.
  8. Elgar

Elgar New Member

does that require me to be rooted? I hear rooting is rather complex and I'd rather not damage the phone.
  9. Omegajester

Omegajester New Member

Yes, it needs for you te be rooted. You cannot take decisi
  10. pandarock32

pandarock32 New Member

I found out a way to do it without changing wallet settings or switching accounts! (This only works for free apps like hulu plus I think) Using tunnelbear linked to US, load the google play store in your pc browser, making sure you are singed out of your google account. Prices should be in USD. Then, search for a free app (I chose hulu plus) and click install. It will then ask you to sign in to your google account. Sign in, and then you will be able to select your android device and the app will download next time you connect your phone/tablet to the internet. Hope I helped!
    mikedt likes this.
  11. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

TunnelBear is a VPN service. I think something has changed with the Play Store, In the last week I now find I can access the US Play Store if I use a VPN, even though I'm in China, and prices are in USD. Previously I'm sure Play geo-located you based on carrier or WiFi info, but now it seems to be based on IP address. I can get the free apps from US Play, some of which wouldn't be available otherwise, but not paid because I don't have a US credit card.
  12. Pinmac1

Pinmac1 Well-Known Member

Brought this thread back to life as I'm trying to follow the advice given I have downloaded TunnelBear successfully. Pandarock32 says to log out of my Google account. I can't find a way to do this on my phone (Samsung Galaxy Note)running Jelly Bean 4.1.2. I can logout on the laptop and iPad but the Google Play Store on the phone still shows in GB pounds when following the instructions above. I did find some advice saying that I could logout by removing my Google Account from the phone but that seems a bit extreme?

Any ideas please?
  13. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Please note:

Discussion of obtaining apps by anything other than legitimate means is not allowed here on AF. This site has a zero-tolerance policy towards copyright infringement and/or depriving developers of income.

Spoofing location to access the Play Store outside your current location is fine; pirating paid apps for free most definitely isn't.
  14. Pinmac1

Sorry, a bit confused here. I agree about not downloading illegally etc and have never done so. The second part of the above post seems to say that what I was asking for is fine or am I misreading it? Sorry if I've done something wrong, it wasn't intentional.
  15. Unforgiven

Unforgiven -.. --- - / -.. .- ... .... Moderator

That is highly appreciated.
    That part was directed at someone else who posted something since removed. You have done nothing wrong.:)
  16. Pinmac1

That's weird, I replied here a couple of days ago but it's not here now. Thanks, Unforgiven, that's put my mind at rest. Still be interested in knowing how to logout of Google on my phone?