1. Tablet future looks bright! Read more about: Alcatel Xess | Samsung Galaxy View
    New Forums: Alcatel Xess | Samsung Galaxy View
    Dismiss Notice

How to Change SD Card

Last Updated:

1. LittleRedDot

LittleRedDot Well-Known Member

Is there a process or guide floating around that will help me switch out sd cards without monkeying with all my customization, or can I just copy and swap?

Advertisement
  2. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

Copy and swap, thats it!

Nows a great time to partition it as well before you get everything on there
    dustwun77 and ocnbrze like this.
  3. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

yep that is all i did. i made a folder on my desktop and move the cards content then switched to the new card and then pasted the old cards content and you are done.

and i agree with partitioning the card as well.
  4. LittleRedDot

Thanks guys.... How do I know the class of the card, do I just take the salesman word for it?
  5. ocnbrze

on the card there should be a number within a circle. this number is your class of the card.
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  6. Rxpert83

You should also be able to tell by the write speed when you transfer files over
  7. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog Moderator

Lower class cards (2,4) usually don't have a number. I have a 16gig wally world special and i never have issues with it however I don't have games on the phone either (well solitaire) and nothing really intensive.

Also I would recommend partitioning the card from the phone sometimes the phone doesn't like it from the computer.
    ocnbrze likes this.
  8. dustwun77

dustwun77 Endeavor to Persevere :) Guide

Yes, definitely partition from phone. You know it will wipe everything on that card, right?

I have an extra class 4 card, I didn't have any problem using it with non intensive stuff either.

last thing, a 1 gig partition should be plenty unless you are like crazy with giant apps or games.
  9. LittleRedDot

I was told by the sales man that it was a class 10 card, which is what I set out to buy, but it doesn't have a number on it. I guess I'll take it back, unless you guys don't think the write speed is all that important?
  10. dustwun77

dustwun77 Endeavor to Persevere :) Guide

It should have a class number on it if it is a 10. 10 is good, write speed is good too. I like my class 10 card. Just make sure you get what you paid for. sort of skeptical of this card not having the number on it if it is a class 10.
    argedion likes this.
  11. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog Moderator

Not sure the sales man would lie to you but who knows anymore. If it doesnt have a number it doesn't necessarily mean its not what he says the best thing to do is to is look it up. I don't know how far you live from the store you bought it from so what ever is going to be easier for you.
  12. Rxpert83

You should be able to just google the card and be able to figure out what it is based on that.
    ocnbrze, dustwun77 and LittleRedDot like this.
  13. LittleRedDot

That's a good idea... I bought it from walmart, and it looks just like the class 10 cards they have online, but the saleman was an old woman, so... I don't know.
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  14. Rxpert83

Check out the other classes WalMart have available online as well. If they're obviously not like yours then you can be pretty sure that yours is the 10
  15. ocnbrze

16. LittleRedDot

17. Rxpert83

Wipe it clean, format it, and go return that sucker!

I ALWAYS buy anything electronic related online, its so much cheaper.
  18. JustSomeDude

JustSomeDude Well-Known Member

19. LittleRedDot

Read the article, still taking mine back for the class 10....

I'll do my own tests once I get my class 10 vs my class 6 and see which performs better.