• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories How to change the microsd card

reidrwj

Lurker
Jun 17, 2010
Can anyone tell me the steps to change the default 2GB microSD card with something larger. I understand the physical procedure but want to know if there is a specific procedure for backing up and restoring the data. I know I could copy out all of the current card to my PC and then restore it to the new card once I install it.

Any issues with doing this?

I have a 4 GB in mine, the way I did it was just to make a full copy of the old microSD to the new one.

For me, it was as easy as that :D

Explained :
- Put your microSD in a cardreader connected to your computer.
- Make a folder named "whateveryoulike" on your desktop.
- Copy ENTIRE contents of microSD to that folder. (make sure you can see hidden folders)
- Insert new microSD into cardreader.
- Copy entire content to new microSD.
(if the computer asks you to format the microSD, choose FAT/FAT32 format, not NTFS)

Reactions: melissapugs
Upvote 0
I just finished replacing my old 16gb 4 class sd card for a 32gb 10 class card on my HTC Incredible 2. Very simple. I did make a backup of all the files onto my computer just in case but aside from that all that was needed was to switch all apps from the the sd card storage over to the phone's memory, then unmount the card. Once that was done done, I swapped out the old card for the new one and it was recognized without any need for formatting. After that I just switched all the apps back over to the sd card. No problems so far and everything is running just fine. :D I love it when things are easier than you think they will be.

Upvote 0
I just finished replacing my old 16gb 4 class sd card for a 32gb 10 class card on my HTC Incredible 2. Very simple. I did make a backup of all the files onto my computer just in case but aside from that all that was needed was to switch all apps from the the sd card storage over to the phone's memory, then unmount the card. Once that was done done, I swapped out the old card for the new one and it was recognized without any need for formatting. After that I just switched all the apps back over to the sd card. No problems so far and everything is running just fine. :D I love it when things are easier than you think they will be.

Sadly, not an option for me. I have only 500MB internal storage with almost 400MB used up. I have 7.5GB of apps on my sd card. Looks like it's copy/paste for me. :D

Upvote 0
are permissions preserved copying to the pc and back? as they are different operating systems.
I need informations about this.
Some days ago I tryed to copy all my files and folders from a 2 GB SD memory to my desktop, and then from my desktop to a new 4GB SD memory.
The phone could find photos and videos but all the app installed on the SD were missing.

So I deleted everything from the SD and I tryed again copying directly from 2 GB SD to 4 GB SD and in this way it worked

What is the difference from copying to PC and then to SD and copy from SD to SD directly?

Upvote 0
I need informations about this.
Some days ago I tryed to copy all my files and folders from a 2 GB SD memory to my desktop, and then from my desktop to a new 4GB SD memory.
The phone could find photos and videos but all the app installed on the SD were missing.

So I deleted everything from the SD and I tryed again copying directly from 2 GB SD to 4 GB SD and in this way it worked

What is the difference from copying to PC and then to SD and copy from SD to SD directly?

As far as I know nothing, I've never had any problems like this, something must have just gone wrong

Reactions: siferking
Upvote 0
I don't think it can be a permissions issue. Although the operating systems are different, it's the file system where permissions are held. Your android phone can't use file permissions with FAT32 or NTFS and your windows PCs wouldn't read much else. Best guess is that hidden files are being missed or that some program (antivirus, dropbox, etc...) is blocking access to files deliberately or simply by accessing them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones