How to check if android phone is stolen?

1. sjabosi

sjabosi Member

Hey, so I found a good deal online for an android phone but the seller says it doesn't come with the battery or back cover. The ad also says the phone is brand new condition. Sound weird to anyone else?

How can I make sure a phone like this is not stolen?

Advertisement
  2. shalemail

shalemail Well-Known Member Contributor

Sounds like a factory re-furbished phone provided on warranty.
  3. sjabosi

sjabosi Member

Could be. Are refurbished phones generally solid?
  4. shalemail

shalemail Well-Known Member Contributor

Generally they are identical to a new phone (they are rebuilt by the factory that built them in the first place) but the accepted feeling is that they are not new - should be cheaper than new. They are the "red headed step child" of second hand phones.

I have used a re furb in the past with no issues and I have also gone thru 4 versions of the same phone with the latter 3 being re furbs and they all sucked. So rule of thumb ... if it's a good phone it will be a good re furb if it's a piece of crap (Samsung) it will be a piece of crap re furb.
  5. Lil777

Lil777 New Member

How do i know IF i bought a stolen Android phone online? Anyone?
    Thanks@
  6. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

Check your ESN with your carrier. They can provide the information on whether it is stolen or not.
  7. Doit2it

Doit2it Well-Known Member Contributor

Also, when talking to the carrier be sure to confirm the phone is not linked to anyone's account. If it is and the account goes into default, the phone will be blacklisted and unusable.
  8. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

yes.. sure you can ask for the ESN number off the phone.. then call the carrier and ask if it is still good.

if you do not have the phone in your hands.. then it is hard to 100% confirm.

because the problem is .. would the seller really give you the correct ESN off the phone they are trying to sell?? They can easily use a good ESN off a good phone of someone else's, or the ESN will be bad once they walk on the contract.
    ocnbrze likes this.
  9. Mark with a K

Mark with a K Member

if i were you i would avoid it.. especially if it is on ebay.. if it's craigslist or similar ask the person if you can see the esn and verify it before making the purchase.
  10. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Depending on what country you're in, you can pay for a CheckMend database check on a phone's ESN, IMEI and serial number. That should tell you if a phone is reported stolen, has any blocks on it, etc.