How to check whether the Android I bought is Brand New ??

Last Updated:

1. denis_sianto

denis_sianto Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

I am currently travelling at Hongkong, here in Mongkok district of Hongkong, there are hundreds of shops selling mobile phones at 'quite cheap' prices.

I just bought a HTC desire, it was sealed with plastic, and the storekeeper said that it was a HTC desire with warranty. For HKD 4100.

I wanted to buy 2 units, one for my sister. But the store only has 1. So I went to a store next door, and the storekeeper said what I just bought must have been a 'refurbished' one. He said the normal price in HK should be around HKD4250 - HKD4300.

Question is, Are there really any method to check whether this new phone I just bought isn't a refurbished one? or a second hand sold as a new unit ? seeing me as a foreigner, they would think I am easier to trick.

Blackberry units, at least, has its own call/data meter, which is unresettable, so I could easily know whether the unit was new or not.. :D

Advertisement
  2. denis_sianto

3. re410

re410 Member

If you can't tell by looking at it or using it, then what difference does it make?

4. denis_sianto

Why bother answering when you don't really answer what I questioned here?

5. terry_gardener

terry_gardener Well-Known Member

you could try an app called spare parts this gives information on battery usage, with option - total for all time

6. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

Fyi, battery stats can be wiped. You could also try *#*#4636#*#* (input in dialer), which I believe also gives you usage stats etc.

That aside, it's not that cheap, just a hundred or so bucks less than the usual price. I wouldn't worry too much. If it were, like, 2500-3000 HKD, maybe you should worry. Moreover, keep in mind that goods in Hong Kong are exempt to all VAT (!) and phones in general tend to be cheaper there. The price of my N1 (which I had shipped to Hong Kong too, for that matter) is only about 4300HKD and that's with shipping costs included.

7. copestag

copestag Well-Known Member

if it actually has a warranty who cares if its new...... chances are good youre gonna have to get it exchanged 3 times anyhow

8. Tre Lawrence

Tre Lawrence Well-Known Member

Wow... I think the whole endeavor was a risk, but like Sheryl Crow says "If it makes you happy..."

9. denis_sianto

why are you saying this ? Was android easy to get broken phones ?

10. HTC

HTC Well-Known Member

oooooh the play on words!! I'm waiting for a rebuttal...this could get juicy.