How to clean up the Android internal root folder?

Last Updated:

1. Kumimono

Kumimono Member This Topic's Starter

Hello, I've noticed a somewhat bothersome issue with the root folder of my phone's internal SD card. Perhaps it's lazy coding, perhaps I've missed a setting somewhere, but the root seems swamped with various folders by different applications. Is there no Application Data folder for these, using Windows terms? Any pointer appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

I'd advise against moving anything around on your own as it will most likely lead to non-functioning apps, apps with missing data or duplicate folders on the card. Apps that require access to the SD card are generally going to make folders and want to keep the path to those folders as short as possible. Keep in mind that the app is reading that path and that path is whatever the developer set it to be. If you move a folder into a sub-folder then the app will have missing data due to lack of access or it will just create a new folder in place of the missing one. It may be what you refer to as "lazy coding", but if you consider that everyone has a different setup when it comes to Android then there are only really a few solid options that exist on every users SD card and the root is a universal constant. The only way I can think of to change the path set in the app is to contact the app developer and make the suggestion or see if there is a setting that will allow you to change it in the app.

3. Kumimono

Kumimono Member This Topic's Starter

Alright, makes sence. Appreciated. Just have to live with it, don't think it'd prudent to expect anyone to update their code for just my benefit. :)

4. Unkerpaulie

Unkerpaulie Member

I have this same issue. I dislike the fact that I have to work around these random and unorganized folders appearing on the sd card. What's worse is that the don't allow reorganizing or customizing where you want things to go. Even in windows there's a designated "program files" folder that all apps dwelt to on installation. Then there's my documents, and the subfolders for pictures, music, and so on. I just wish That android had their system setup like this, it would certainly make things more efficient

5. wayrad

wayrad Well-Known Member

Android file structure is different from Windows, because it's based on Linux, not Windows. Yes, it seems strange if you're not used to it, but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it.