how to clear "saved" words in the message appSupport

Last Updated:

1. cardsfan01

cardsfan01 Member This Topic's Starter

When using the stock message app for texting, how do you clear or update the words that you have "saved". I accidently hit "saved" for het so everytime i try to type "her" it comes up Het. I hope i am making sense. Any help on how to reset all of the saved words or update them would be appreciated. Thanks

Advertisement
  2. jimdroid

jimdroid Well-Known Member

To quote another poster:

"Go into Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>Touch Input>Clear Data

This will clear USER dictionary and settings such as Vibrate and Sounds while texting, which can be set back in seconds under Settings>Locale and Text"

I'm not 100% sure that this will also clear the texting user dictionary, but I'm about 95% sure.

Hope this helps,

jd

3. Sirchuk

Sirchuk Active Member

Yeah, that works, but it does delete all the saved words. There is no way to remove individual words that I'm aware of. Although, I think you can if you have a rooted phone, shell into it, find the saved words list and edit it manually..but who really wants to go through all that?!

4. bray424

bray424 Well-Known Member

Thanks, I've been wondering how to do this. Is there a way to prevent the phone from adding every non-recognized word to the dictionary? Last night I texted a friend something about her dog that included the phrase "arf arf arf" (in quotations like that), and it ended up saving arf, "arf, and arf" to my dictionary.

5. eyebeam

eyebeam Well-Known Member

Use the trackball to highlight the word you want to use but don't want saved, don't click on or tap the word, and then hit space. This wont save it to the user dictionary.

6. Droidone

Droidone Well-Known Member

I know everyone is tired of hearing about 2.1 but there is an option in 2.1 where you can alter the saved words and delete them. Doesn't help now but will be good in the future. Htc and google know that is an issue.

7. MdDoggy9

MdDoggy9 New Member

Just figured this out. This has been bothering me for weeks. :/

"Go into Settings>Language and keyboard>Touch Input>User Dictionary

From there you can add/drop any word that you want.

Turbo3zDriver likes this.