How To: ClockworkMod Recovery VM Evo V 4G

1. tacticblue

tacticblue Member

How To: ClockworkMod Recovery VM Evo V 4G

Placeholder.

I am working on confirming that this will work installing ClockWorkMod Recovery on Virgin Mobile Evo V 4G phones.

Advertisement
  2. wigginst

wigginst Well-Known Member

If this works it looks much easier than the other method we have so far. Plus coming from the Triumph I am pretty comfortable with CWM now!
  3. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy VIP Member

Revolutionary won't work with HBOOT 1.57. Alpharev and Unrevoked submitted their security exploit to HTC when they found it for the HTC Evo 3D and it was patched for the HBOOT 1.50 update. And after that Alpharev and Unrevoked determined that HTC dev's method was 'good enough' and they wouldn't look for a new S-OFF exploit. Unless that has changed, Revolutionary won't be able to crack HBOOT 1.50 for the Evo 3D, and by extension, HBOOT 1.57 for the Evo V.

You'll have to use HTC dev, unfortunately. But you can flash CWM instead of TWRP or any other recovery. But I do recommend 4EXTRecovery. Once you try it, you'll forget CWM existed.
  4. markzombie82

markzombie82 Well-Known Member

Nevermind
    This is what jmz is talking about ↓↓
  5. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy VIP Member

Interesting, especially if it works. I hope it does, because HTC dev is not ideal.
  6. jmz

jmz Well-Known Member

DO NOT TRY THAT UNIVERSAL TOOL. It is not meant for eMMC devices. Only for MTD devices.

Also, the ONLY 2 options to unlock is htc unlock or s-off via unlimited.io. Revolutionary will not work.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DOWNGRADE either........
    markzombie82 and jerofld like this.
  7. thebryceee

thebryceee Well-Known Member

Will HTC DumLock method work?
  8. jmz

jmz Well-Known Member

Yes if you have a compatible recovery. I would suggest just using ext4 as it has smartflash for s-on devices
  9. thebryceee

thebryceee Well-Known Member

Can you switch from CWM to TWRP? I tried through flashboot and it said TWRP couldn't be loaded.

Edit: nvm, I bought 4EXT. My God that recovery is so much easier/faster. I don't mind spending money on services like that and supporting the devs behind it.
  10. Snake X

Snake X Well-Known Member

ok confirmed: clockworkmod recovery for the evo 3d does not work on our phone. It just reboots you back into android. However, clockworkmod *touch* recovery for the evo 3d does for our phone. I am currently testing its functionality first by backing up (of course). So far so good... I'll try mounting usb next.

edit: however, I did get the following

E:Bad boot message
    "TIME"

not sure what that means..

edit: mount usb does not work, "E:Unable to open ums file (no such file or directory)" or something along those lines.. (typed that after reboot). I'm gonna stick with TWRP for now.
    Confinest and tacticblue like this.
  11. jjohn7293

jjohn7293 Well-Known Member

Do we have to reboot into bootloader>bootloader>recovery? or can we just Reboot Recovery???