• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps How to Combine 2 Android Apps

harviasoft

Lurker
Oct 31, 2011
Experts,

I am having the source code of 2 android apps which have been separately developed. I need to combine both of them as a single application so the output would be a single apk file. Let me more specific.

1. App 1: Shop list app -
  2. App 2 Calculator app.
using a button click in the App 1 I would want to call the second app Calculator. I have researched on Internet and I am seeing some suggestions like library project etc.
Anyone who has some idea on the feasiblity, please throw some ideas on the same.

Thanks,

Harry

Replying for @amalkronz's benefit since the OP is long since gone (2011):

1. Itemize your list of classes and resources in your app so you don't forget anything

2. Create a skeleton of your new app

3. Copy/paste the items / components from your other two apps into the new one; it might be advisable to copy to a text file first and then paste into the new shell of the new component--I find (in Eclipse) that I'll get errors because of references that get copied when you do the copy/paste in Eclipse without using the text file as the third party; resolving those errors is frustrating and time-consuming (you will get errors / issues are you do this process at least until you get all of the referenced resources/components built and resolved in your new app)

4. Pick which Activity class from the original two you're going to make your main app and update the AndroidManifest.xml file accordingly (you'll likely be having to update that file anyway with any specific references from the original two apps)

5. From your new "main" Activity, insert/create a new button on your main screen with an associated onClickListener and have it do the startActivity for the "other" Activity (i.e., the main activity for your second app).

Test/debug/fix/repeat...

Sorry I can't give you specifics (I'm away from my development machine at the moment, too), but your efforts will certainly all depend on the content and behavior of the two apps you're trying to combine.

Best of luck and hope that helps!

:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones