• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to connect Solid Explorer to Windows PC

AZgl1500
I thank you for your prompt reply. I should have written I refer to a WiFi connection: inexplicably, Windows File Explorer often does not show all files present in a folder on my 'phone when viewing via a USB cable, yet they are displayed when I can get ES File Explorer to recognise my PC wirelessly.
Meanwhile. I shall follow up your suggestion regarding ASUS File Manager.

Upvote 0
When I used a USB cable to the phones, an S5 and now my Note 4;
the Windows File manager can only see certain directories and files on the phones.
it will show all of the main directory folders, but it says "empty" when you try to view the folder contents.

It has always been that way, IIRC.
Android does not give Windows permission to see very much.
Downloads, yes
ringtones, yes
the extSDcard yes, mostly. Not always, some folders it is picky about... with 4.4.4 it was not so bad,
now with 5.1.1 nearly impossible....

so, I quit using the USB cable, and only use the ASUS File Manager.

It copies to/from the PC via WiFi just fine.

Obviously on the PC, the folders you want it to see, must be "Shared"
I cheated with that. I just made the entire 'C:' drive shared....

as I am the only one who ever used this PC, it is not a problem.

Upvote 0
AZgl1500
My own experience has been not so much that certain folders or files cannot be seen using a USB cable but that files will not display on occasions until some considerable time has elapsed, perhaps days. It is this delay that is unacceptable.
I installed Asus File Manger: the process to copy to a network wirelessly is extremely straightforward and my PC was found instantly, unlike ES File Explorer at present. I tried numerous other file managers earlier today such as Solid Explorer, Total Commander and FX File Explorer but could not discover how to carry out this simple exercise in any one of them. I do note, already, that Asus File Manager appears to delete files whereas ES File Explorer has a Recycle Bin, which seems quite useful.
I thank you again for your suggestion; my frustration is over!

Reactions: AZgl1500
Upvote 0
I can take a picture, and the instant it is done, I exit the camera, bring up ASUS file manager, and select "images"
the most recent picture taken, is at the top of the list....

that is something I really enjoy. I also like that in Settings, you can change the way it sorts.
I have done that differently several times depending on what I am doing.

I usually leave it on "most recent modified order" and that way, all the new stuff is on top of the list.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones