HOW TO: Connect your x10 to a PEAP networkTips

Last Updated:

1. Jcbpnl

Jcbpnl Active Member This Topic's Starter

1.6 ONLY! 2.1 has the options listed below by default!

Many University and Business networks use PEAP wireless. Unfortunetly for us x10 users aren't able to connect to these by default. Your instructions on how to connect may tell you to change the EAP type to PEAP which isn't able to be changed in the x10's 1.6 gui. However it is able to be changed with the help of an app.

WiFi Advanced Configuration Editor (or WiFiACE) is able to modify these settings for you. I have prepared a step by step guide to help you get connected to your network.

You must have:
    Sony xperia x10 handset :eek:
    Access to the wireless network
    The proper credentials and settings needed to log into the network

Steps

1) Download the application from the market place. Link to the program (includes QR code): Click me

2) Try to connect to your network through the default wifi manager. What I mean by this is the app can only change settings on networks that have been saved to the .conf file. What I did was not fill anything in and just press connect on the network i was trying access. It will fail obviously.

3) Open up WiFiACE. The network you wish to connect should now be listed. Tap it to open the settings.

4) Using the credentials and settings you received from your school/employer dig through the various menus and make the changes needed.

5) Once you are complete open the stock wifi manager and tap connect on your network. You should connect if you used the proper credentials.

Tips:
    If the network is using a security certificate, please visit this link. You upload your certificate (from your computer) and it will return a link that you navigate to on your phone. It should then install the certificate properly.

Your IT department might have a website or the information you need. All the networks vary so I cannot offer you any help in this regard.

I hope this guide helped you out and saved you some time. I had to dig around through some feature requests before I was able to get the information I needed. Have a great day and enjoy your superior Android device!

Advertisement
    MrWomble and Steelwool199 like this.
  2. lavinius

lavinius Active Member

what about if the site is using certificates?

3. Jcbpnl

Jcbpnl Active Member This Topic's Starter

Scratch what I posted previously. Go here and upload the certificate. It will then return a link that you visit on your phone and your phone should install the certificate.

4. lavinius

lavinius Active Member

much better :)
    thank you

5. Steelwool199

Steelwool199 Member

Stupid IT guy said it was my FIRMWARE. Thanks for this thread. Really helps

6. baracuda1121

baracuda1121 Member