• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to control sync frequency??

shturm

May 13, 2010
I've searched everywhere and could not find an answer to a very simple question:

How to control frequency of synchronization for Mail/Calendar/Contacts for a Google account ??

For me, they never synchronize by themselves. They sync only by manual request.

When I receive a new email in my Gmail account, it does not sync to the phone automatically. When I go to Settings > Accounts > Google, I see "Sync Contacts/Gmail/Calendar" but the last sync time remains the time I sync'd them manually (currently - yesterday).

Settings > Battery > Battery Mode is Performance.

I'm really desperate, as I cannot use my phone for one of main things I wanted it for.

Please help!

It worked for me this way: Touch the Gmail widget. Then, touch the menu button at the bottom left. More (arrow down), then settings...labels. Lists the number of days to sync, inbox, priority inbox, sent, etc.

Also, settings widget...accounts...touch your gmail account name...leads to settings for docs, contacts, gmail, and calendar.

Upvote 0
It worked for me this way: Touch the Gmail widget. Then, touch the menu button at the bottom left. More (arrow down), then settings...labels. Lists the number of days to sync, inbox, priority inbox, sent, etc.

Also, settings widget...accounts...touch your gmail account name...leads to settings for docs, contacts, gmail, and calendar.

In Gmail > Settings > Labels I have Inbox and "Number of days to sync" set to "4 days". There is no control over frequency of updates.

In Settings > Accoungs > Gmail I see "Sync Contacts", "Sync Gmail" and "Sync Calendar". Each of them says "Touch to sync now". When I touch them, they sync. But this is manual, and want sync to be automatic. So whenever a new email arrives, Gmail will push it to the phone.
How do I do that??

Upvote 0
Not sure. I understand that it would be logical to have a setting frequency, but I was under the impression that gmail was just "pushed" when a new email arrives. Not sure if it synchronizes all the labels/calendar/etc at that point each time or not. It seems to me that if I make changes to the calendar either in the phone or in gmail on the pc, that it still syncs shortly thereafter regardless of the day setting.

Upvote 0
Not sure. I understand that it would be logical to have a setting frequency, but I was under the impression that gmail was just "pushed" when a new email arrives. Not sure if it synchronizes all the labels/calendar/etc at that point each time or not. It seems to me that if I make changes to the calendar either in the phone or in gmail on the pc, that it still syncs shortly thereafter regardless of the day setting.

I can accept that there are no settings to control sync frequency.
But for me even (supposedly default) push sync does not work.

Does anybody have any ideas why?

Upvote 0
Just check your phone's default mail app. I think HTC have a sync frequency setting in the mail app but I agree this should be part of the phone's OS (android). The LG Optimus Black has a frequency setting ONLY IF you use the default Mail app that comes with the phone (you can go into the EMail app, click settings and then you can set each email account's sync frequency). I did not realise this because my preference was to use the gmail app that also came with the phone.

Anyway, since the sync setting is not part of android and all the handsets seem to be different a great alternative is to simply use an app to schedule when you want to connect to the internet and retrieve your data (email, etc):

Look in the android market, you will find many scheduling apps, such as:
- 'Profile Scheduler'
- 'JuiceDefender'

Personally, I think Profile Scheduler is one of the best apps I've used for this purpose (and its free, on android). It lets you schedule when you want your phone to connect to data, when to autosync, when to connect to wifi, etc. It even lets you set up profiles with unique volume settings, data settings, and all this can be scheduled daily, so your phone can set itself to silent everyday when you get to work, or on 'airplane' mode every night when you go to bed, retrieve emails before work or during lunch time, etc.

Very very handy :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones