how to copy or back up contacts HTC hero

Last Updated:

1. natnat

natnat Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

after reading through the threads I see that a few paople have lost their contacts when the phone has rebooted or upgraded etc. So I would like to back them up.

When I look in people-menu-view it shows that all my contacts are saved to my phone.
    They where saved to my sim when I put it in so it must have done this by itself.

What is the best way to back them up?
    In the inport/export option I can export to SD card but I am a bit worried about pressing that incase its the wrong thing and I loose it all.

Advertisement
  2. boomboy

boomboy Active Member

3. darndot

darndot Member

I put my contacts in via Gmail when possible. Much easier to type on a full size keyboard.

4. natnat

thanks guys,
    I mean all the phone numbers on the phone, can that be backed up in gmail as well as e mails?
    Also I can't work out how to sinc them to google, would someone mind showing me. thank you so much.
    I am probably being a bit thick but I have looked through all the menus and cant work it out.

5. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

I can't remember the exact menu item as I no longer have Sense on my phone but in your contacts app if you go to Menu and Export you should see an option to export to Google.

6. mIQ Live

mIQ Live Well-Known Member

A good option is to download a backup application from the market. There are some good free ones which will backup all your phone data automatically.(cloud service to a private account) This way it is always up to date in case something happens. Also really easy to switch phones in the future, just log in on new phone!

Hope that helps!

7. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

natnat, yes it is possible to set up your contacts to work just like your email does.

See, there are three types of contact. 'Phone' (just saved on the phone), 'SIM' (saved to your SIM) and 'Google'. Google contacts are synchronised with your gmail address books. So that means it's possible to submit them into gmail and they will be sychronised to the phone. Likewise, you can create a new 'Google' contact on the phone and it will be saved to your gmail address book. Which is really handy, because in the future you can just sign into your next android phone and they'll all be downloaded for you instantly.

If you want to do this, the way I'd do it is to export your contacts from the phone and import them to gmail via the gmail website. You want to export them into a .csv? file. The option you found in the settings might be able to do this, or you might have to use an app like this one.

The gmail contacts page seems to be down for me, so I can't find out which file format you want the contacts in (hence the '.csv?'). I'll post it when it's working :)

EDIT: Yep, it's a .csv file you need. So that app I linked to will do just fine. Use the app to export the .csv file, get the file on your PC and go to gmail.com, login and go to contacts. Click Import at the top right of the window and enter the .csv file.

Once that's finished and it starts syncing with the phone, you can delete/hide your SIM and Phone contacts.

8. natnat

i tried the above and it only exported 32 of 152 contacts, this is getting frustrating grrrrrrrr

thank you anyway