How to Create Email FoldersSupport

Last Updated:

1. singleshot

singleshot Active Member This Topic's Starter

I'm using the stock email application on my Inc. Is there a way to create additional folders? I would like to create a 'saved' folder to keep certain emails in. I can't seem to find a way to do this.

I'm wondering if any of the other email apps (K9) can do this.

Advertisement
  2. singleshot

singleshot Active Member This Topic's Starter

No one has run into this? Baffling.

3. Musky

Musky Well-Known Member

The stock email application just links to your email server account, so whatever folders you set up there should show in the phones email app. For instance, in Gmail, I created folders (called lables by gmail) and in the native Gmail app, I have the option of moving emails to any of the lables and viewing them there.

Is that what you asking about?

4. duanebreezy

duanebreezy New Member

No, you can't do this.

When I first got my Droid I tried K9. It was much quicker at delivering emails to me but couldn't organize them into folders- on my phone or on my server.

My company uses a POP server to handle emails. This is annoying and stupid in my opinion. I wanted a way to apply labels to my emails that would be synced whether I accessed them on my phone or on the computer.

Long story short I had to set up a gmail account that polls my work POP account for emails and then brings them into Gmail. That's great because I can maintain the work address functionally and as a reply-to address but it also makes sure to note on all the emails I send from gmail that they are sent "On behalf of <my actual address> from <the gmail 'forwarding' address I set up>

5. Musky

Musky Well-Known Member

And how does this address the OP's 8 month old question about folders?

Oh and welcome to the forums!

6. WolfStock

WolfStock New Member

BTTT. Given that apperently the stock email app can't handle separate folders (I have the same issue on my Droid X), can anyone recommend an email app that might be able to do this? It seems like an easy thing to do, and very basic email functionality.

Being forced to use gmail - as proxy or otherwise - seems ludicrous to me.

7. jayefef

jayefef Well-Known Member

If you use Yahoo! their mail app has folders just like in the browser version. It works pretty well but it is no Gmail app.

Being "forced to use gmail" is hardly a punishment though as its the best android-google integrations along with maps.

8. Jnine

Jnine New Member

Hi
    I am a new member and a new user of Android. I am unable to create folders within K9 ma to save mails received for later use. Are there alternate mail programs that do this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

9. phandroiduserx

phandroiduserx New Member

I wanted to have email folders on my smart phone that are different from Cloud or computer folders. Hence Gmail didn't work. All I found were others who wanted the same but no suggestions. So I hope those in the same situation find this information.

The popular email clients do not work.

Solution. I found 2 free apps that easily allowed custom folders to be set up on the smart phone.

Maildroid. The one I chose.

Profimail. Development stage.

I hope this helps.

10. Patter73

Patter73 New Member

Thanks you so much. MailDroid was the answer to what I was looking for. I LOVE IT and never would have found it without this forum. My only wish is that the filters ran automatically and moved the mail to the designated folder. But hey you can't have everything. Maybe someday they will add that feature. For now I am ver content. Thanks again.

11. bobjm

bobjm New Member

How did you create custom folders in Maildroid?

12. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Well-Known Member

Go into Accounts, long-press on Folders and select Create subfolder. However, I don't recommend doing this except for POP3 email accounts.

If you're using IMAP service it's much better to create folders and filters at the server side, using your email service webmail interface. Since POP3 mail service does not do sync, it's unable to do this and it must be done by the mail client. But with IMAP dealng with folders, filtering and sorting at the server means new folders showup on all your computers and devices accessing the account and all mail is pre-filtered and sorted.

Also, if you set up folders and filters on the phone, mail has to be delivered to the phone, filtered and sorted, re-synced back to the server and then synced to other computers and devices that access the account. It's a lot of extra sending and syncing which increases data usage, slows things down and increases chances of errors. For theses reasons you don't see folder creation or filtering on many mobile email clients. In fact, Maildroid is the only one I'm aware of. I'm just guessing, but the author is a smart guy and I imagine he had POP3 accounts in mind when he added this feature.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  13. cherryalena

cherryalena New Member

there' a folder called "saved emails" but I cant figure out how to use it - its not an option when you click "more" then "move."

14. cherryalena

cherryalena New Member

there' a folder called "saved emails" but I cant figure out how to use it - its not an option when you click "more" and then click "move."

15. cherryalena

cherryalena New Member

sorry for the repeat folks & the required wait before posting time seems about as accurate as next bus