How to Customise HTC Desire contact labelsTips

Last Updated:

1. tedmartin

tedmartin Member

Eventually found out how to do this as there was a customise feature on the HTC Magic. The solution is to do it through Google Contacts and then synchronise the contacts back to the phone.

Simple - pity no one at HTC Support seemed to know.

Have fun!

2. gie62001

gie62001 Well-Known Member

couldn't really understand what you ment here. as i though you can customise contacts from the phone as well. dont know what google contacts offer any more than the same function in the phone's contact edit menu?
    please clarify
  3. tedmartin

tedmartin Member

On the Desire, when you add a new Contact you cannot customise the label that describes the contact's location e.g. Work, Home, etc. You could do this on the HTC Magic phone but on the Desire you do not have this option.

Anyway, HTC Support were unable to help and then I discovered that on Google's website where you can synchronise the contacts, there is a customise option. So - if you need to customise the Contact's location, you need to add them via the Google website and then synchronise to get it onto the Desire.

Seems a bit long-winded but there you go. Reckon a Desire update would do the trick but its up to them now. I am happy now that I have a workaround as I store lots of phone nos. for different site locations e.g. Reception, Security, Caretakers, Print Room etc.

Hope this explains it better for you. Thanks for asking for clarification.
  4. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Well-Known Member

So, do contacts get grouped by the location label you give them via Google? It sounds interesting, especially as I have mainly 'Work' contacts and 'Family/Friends'.

Could you please give an example of how you use the feature, and how the contacts are displayed on the phone after adding labels?
  5. tedmartin

tedmartin Member

Not sure if they can be Grouped by Location but if (say) you have a Contact that is a business Site, then by treating that site as a new contact, then you can add several (many???) new telephone/eMail addys etc and name them with something relevant. As I said previously, this needs to be done by logging onto you Google account and then selecting Contacts and adding the additional phone nos etc there, where there is the Customise' option.

Of course, from the Google Contacts account, you can export them to an Excel spreadsheet which would give you lots of sort options.
  6. gie62001

gie62001 Well-Known Member

ahh ok i get it now tried myself. yep you can only edit/change tab with phone number via google. when you choose phone and drop down arrow with custom then you can type your own location for the phone number.
    however i found that you can almost do the same from the phone and you can get to the same drop down menu as from google but then you are limited to only Other option and not customise like in google :)
    but now browing in my phone i remembered doing it from my phone but i guess this was when i had 2.1 Eclair on it. as one of the tabs was called England and now it changed into Unknown. so i guess 2.2 Froyo or the last update wiped this feature as now im only able to choose Other.
    thanx for this thread anyway meybe it will be helpful to someone.
  7. tedmartin

tedmartin Member

You are welcome and glad to have helped. What was standard on the HTC Magic has been lost on the Desire. Anyway - its great now as long as Contacts Synchronisation works! (which is potentially another problem as last week it would not until I removed the Favourites widget and rebooted).
  8. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Well-Known Member

I think I understand now :)

For example, I could create a new contact called Head Office, and add phone numbers with custom labels to that contact, such as Reception, Security, Dave The Brush, that kinda thing?
  9. dbareis

dbareis Member

Could you please clarify as as far as I can see Google Contacts ( does NOT have this feature.

I've been setting custom labels on my Phone but the new phone I'm looking at probably doesn't have this ability either...

10. garryknight

garryknight Well-Known Member

Seconded. I'd like to know how to do this, too.
  11. dbareis

dbareis Member

I've worked out that its not done online in Google Contacts, but in Gmail's contacts. This can do some other things like manage relationships and more, just wish they'd updated Google Contacts....
  12. Goan

Goan Member

On my HTC DESIRE Z (standard rom) if i make custom label on gmail it sinc it as unknows...damn, is it possible that there is no solution for that?