How to delete clockwork mod and replace with amons recovery

Last Updated:

1. donaldb1986

donaldb1986 Active Member This Topic's Starter

So I downloaded the application ROM manager and then I installed the Clockwork Mod recovery and now I'm hearing that it can end up bricking your phone so I want to know how to get Amon's recovery image back. I rooted with the one click root for dummies. Thanks, sorry if this has already been answered!

Advertisement
  2. varkie

varkie Well-Known Member

you can flash it right from rom manager, its listed at the bottom of the menu, flash alternate recovery. you won't be able to used rom mangager any more as it requires clockwork mod recovery. i myself have been using clockwork mod recovery for a couple of months without any problems. it has been updated 4 or 5 times since a few people ( 2 i found in the threads) had problems with it.

donaldb1986 likes this.
  3. cmhobbz

cmhobbz Active Member

Interesting. I just performed the 1 Click root, followed by the installation of ROM Manager, as well. I was not aware that Clockwork Mod was bricking phones... so your thread has me asking the same question.

4. varkie

varkie Well-Known Member

i've only seen one pereson who had a bricked phone, t2noob (who's opinion i respect by the way and is pretty knowledgeable about roms), in all the threads i've read. i've done extensive google searches and can't find any thing more than a couple guys who had problems with it. if it was bricking so many phones then were are all the threads about it? not on any of the dozen of android sites i've been on.

5. donaldb1986

I tried to do what you said and the "flash alternate recovery" was greyed out. I am assuming this is because I have the free version. Would I have to buy it to do it that way?

6. varkie

varkie Well-Known Member

i actually had bought rom manager so i guess that is why i had the option. you should be able to flash amon's recovery from the recovery console (volume up + power) just like you would with a rom. not sure where you would get teh file you would have to look around for it. also i think the problems people are having are actually with rom manager, which is like a gui for clockwork mod recovery, and not the recovery program itself. i've had a few issues with rom manager but never clockcwork mod recovery itself.

7. donaldb1986

Thanks I will buy it. I liked Amons better for some reason.

8. donaldb1986

I bought the paid version and that area is still greyed out and says No alternate recovery available.

9. varkie

varkie Well-Known Member

Just checked and its working on mine. Did you download the license (paid version is just a license) from the market? You should have an app called Rom Manager Premium as well as the free version in your download section of the market. Also did you try rebooting after installing, sometimes a reboot will fix things.

10. rugmankc

rugmankc Well-Known Member

Don't you have to have had already flashed Amon on your phone thru ADB to see it. That's what I had already done before getting RM and CWM. Or, does RM flash it for you even if it is not already on phone.

11. varkie

varkie Well-Known Member

good question and i don't know the answer. but most if not all of the root methods use amon's recovery so it should be on everyones phone to begin with.

i'm now on my third month of using clockwork mod recovery without any major problems. i've just switched to kaosfroyo and no problems with it either. rom manager did screw up a backup, something about missing md5 but my other backups were just fine.

12. CrazyKnight128

CrazyKnight128 Well-Known Member

Ive been using rom manager with out a problem for a while, Flashed about three roms and did a couple of recovery's with no problems at all.

13. midnight assassin

midnight assassin Well-Known Member

Ditto. probably close to 10 -15 rom flashes so far.

14. midnight assassin

midnight assassin Well-Known Member

I'm able to flash amons from rom mgr. The caveat is in order to flash Amon you need to flash clockwork. Rom mgr will tell you what your current recovery is. If it's clockwork version whatever then the option to flash Amon should no longer be grey. If it is then try reflashin clockwork. That did it for me.