How to delete default ringtones?Support

Last Updated:

1. omgitsspooky

omgitsspooky Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone know how to delete the ringtones that already come with the phone? I heard you need to be rooted? I hope not since I don't know how to root my phone...

Advertisement
  2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

You heard correct. You have to be rooted.

3. Howard Packer

Howard Packer Well-Known Member

I don't have many complaints about the Epic at all. However, this is one that I do have.

I hate the ringtones and notifications and notifications that come on the phone. All I want are some simple, standard ringtones for things like a telephone ringer.

I downloaded what I want from Zedge, and I thought that that was that. How wrong I was on that count!

If you mount your phone when you connect to the PC (which is how I pretty much end my day), and then you forget to unmount it or turn it off, the phone won't see the ringtone that you downloaded since there is no way (without rooting) to move the ringtone to phone from the SD card. At least for me, the ringtone that goes off when a call comes in (which always happens when I am asleep) is loud, annoying, and doesn't stop (or is so long that I have never been able to outlast it). I think it is the alarm clock or something. I have to get out of bed, walk down to the room with the phone, and unmount or shut off the phone. What a pain! :mad:

I can understand that the manufacture wants to protect certain things. However, they could at least supply many ringtones/notifications, or allow us to download them from their web site into the phone. That way, we get something that always works, and they keep their protection. How about it, Samsung? :rolleyes:

4. omgitsspooky

I'm not sure what you mean when you say the phone won't see the ringtone. I just add my edited ringtones in a stand-alone folder in my memory card titled "ringtones" then I set the ringtones I want for my ringer.

My problem was that when you go through the ringtones list, they merge all your custom ringtones in addition to the phone's native ringtones in alphabetical order.

By the way, Kelmar, are there instructions on how to root a phone on this forum? Is it easy?

5. spiritmbr

spiritmbr New Member

I have double ringtones on my samsung epic. I am trying to delete the doubles. how do I do that? can anyone help?

6. omgitsspooky

Go to My Files and search for that ringtone, long press to delete. Or plug it into your computer as mass storage and locate it there. I'm assuming these ringtones are NOT the native ones.

7. Kelmar

omgitsspooky - I'll to this (your question from a few posts up) when I get home from work :)

8. Jaxon2580

Jaxon2580 Member

Sorry for bumping but on my EPIC4G when I get calls from people where itll say in a computer voice "call from cole(or whatever the contacts name is)" and ill set the default ringtone to a music ringtone but itll still play thag stupid computer voice I cant fix it please help!

9. Montana Man

Montana Man Well-Known Member

...not so fast!

Just go to the Market and pony up the 99 cents for "Delete Ringtone Pro." This app works wonders on getting rid of multiple ringtones and even Verizon's pre-set ones! :)

10. Kelmar

Including the ones in the /system folder??? WITHOUT root?

11. Montana Man

Montana Man Well-Known Member

Correct... even THOSE annoying ones! It's a sweet app!

12. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Well-Known Member

I have a file that has almost a hundred ringtones from htc phones that I've been using since I had my moment that has a few decent ones in it. I even added them to my evo when I got it since it didn't have most of them. I also just made a folder called ringers on the sd card and dumped them in. I think I had to manually select the first one and assign it as a ringer and then it picked them all up and they're listed in the ringtone picker now.

13. seachange

seachange New Member

Okay, now be nice to the low-tech lady here...ummm. Downloaded ringtones I wanted (they appear as downloads on sim card) from Zedge. But when I tried to link the tone with the contact, it said there were no ringtones available! What is this rooting? Will I loose the Zedge ringtones I want if I do that? My phone is a Verizon Droid Razr Maxx. Can you give me a step-by-step on this? Thanks!