How to delete email history that are not contacts ?Support

Last Updated:

1. JuniorNA

JuniorNA Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok. So i asked this question before, but it was about the time everyone was getting their D-Inc's and it was chaos in this forum, and no one quite understood my question.

How do we delete a mail address from history. For example, i emailed JoeSmith@aol.com (who is not in my contact list), and realized that it should be JoeSmith@yahoo.com, now everytime i go to send an email, starting with the letter J, i see both the yahoo and aol email addresses and it says "history" to the right. I tried the "history cleaner" app, and also looked everywhere, but i can't find out how to delete email history anywhere. This happened about 5 times so far, so each time i go to email one of these 5 people, both email addresses come up and 50% of the time i'm choosing the wrong address because i forget that it was input wrong the very first time. Since it says history on the right of the email address, i can only assume there is a history marker somewhere showing me all the emails i've sent, but i cant seem to find it. I want to get these email addresses out of there because i'm always choosing the wrong one, and because i have OCD and can't STAND the fact that there is a wrong email address there. I tried to LONG press, and thought maybe i can delete from there like long pressing a text, or a full conversation, but no luck. Anyone have any info on this? I would greatly appreciate it.

Advertisement
  2. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

Sign on to gmail.com.
    click contacts.
    Delete the contacts and emails that you don't want to show up anymore.
    Sync your gmail account.
    Done

The history just shows messages to and from that address.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk Pro.

3. winstonoboogie

winstonoboogie Well-Known Member

I only know how to do what you're asking from gmail.

Log in to your account on a computer. Click Contacts from the menu on the left side (beneath the labels).

Just enter a blank space in the Contacts search box and this will produce a list of all your contacts sorted by the group names with the final group being Other Contacts-- that is, all of the auto-added contacts that are in All Contacts but not yet in any other group.

This works brilliantly. You can select all the contacts you want to delete. It is still puzzling as to why it's not possible to prevent gmail from automatically adding contacts, but this is the best way I know to delete them.

Hope it helps.

4. JuniorNA

JuniorNA Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thank you, this helps a great deal. however the issue is present in both my Gmail account, and Yahoo account.

Your help has solved my Gmail historical email errors, but my yahoo account (same mail app, 2 accounts) still gives me historical information, incorrect information, and there is no historical email in my yahoo account when on the computer.

I have to figure out a way to get rid of those historical emails in yahoo. :mad:

5. winstonoboogie

winstonoboogie Well-Known Member

Why not forward your Yahoo mail to your gmail account? I did this with my hotmail account and it seems to work.

6. seesaw

seesaw Member

I have found this problem too, with Froyo on HTC Desire.

My problem is not with gmail but with my other email. I can see of no way to view or manage the history of addresses I may have mailed just once and will never mail again.

This issue impinges upon privacy too. I think that only addresses in the Contacts list should be kept in history in the first place.

7. Elway7

Elway7 New Member

i am having the same issue....has anyone figured this out yet?

8. Camelman62

Camelman62 New Member

Hi All, I am having the same issue. I have tried everything and nothing seems to work on 2.2

Anybody heard anymore on how to fix this.

9. headache56

headache56 Member

I have the same problem and the solution for Gmail contacts does not work.

Did anyone find a solution please ? I see this is a problem whch is widely reported in other HTC / Android sites.