1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

How to delete mail from phone but not exchange server?

1. gingerman74

gingerman74 New Member

Does anyone know how to delete mail from the droid without actually removing it from my exchange account? On my old blackberry I could do this and would not actually delete from my inbox but it would delet from my phone. Is this possible? I have poked and prodded everything i can think of but cant see how to do this.
    Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. squaresailor

squaresailor Active Member

Not sure if this will help but I have my exchange account on my Droid set to only show the last five days worth of emails, as time rolls along emails drop from my phone but are still on the exchange server. I don't know if there is a more selective way to get rid of messages on the phone.
  3. icecold

icecold Well-Known Member

Under account settings of the email (at least using K-9 mail), you have three options under When I Delete a message...

1) Do not delete on server
    2) Deletefrom server
    3) Mark as read on server

Without knowing for sure which email app you are using, I can only go off of what I am currently using. Hope it helps...
  4. Cuda13

Cuda13 Well-Known Member

Using the stock e-mail program I was not able to keep deleted e-mails on the server. If I logged in to OWA I would have to pull things out of the deleted items folder back to the inbox but after I did that it would be resent to the Droid.

Touchdown allows you to delte off the phone but keep on the server. There is a 30 day free trial.
  5. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

Forward from exchange to your gmail account.
  6. Tappanga

Tappanga New Member

I don't have this exact phone, but here's what I did as a work around in Exchange:

Go into Outlook and set up a folder called "Exchange Temp". Then, after I'm done reading an email on my Droid, I put it in that folder. When I'm back at my desk on Outlook, I can move from Exchange Temp to other folders (if I need to save the email) or delete it. That keeps my Inbox on my Droid clean, yet I don't delete vital emails that I'll need when I return to work.
  7. aioka

aioka Member

If you do this you might want to be careful and check with your IT Admin. Most companies value any emails sent to your exchange as company property and forwarding them automatically to a off server account is grounds for termination. So be careful with this suggestion.
  8. eugkim

eugkim Member

Had the same issue. I had to switch to K-9.
  9. Magnustampa

Magnustampa New Member

That worked for me as a temporary fix! I set my Evo to only download the last day's emails and it showed nothing. I switched to 3 days, and it pulled up old emails from the server. I switched it back and it synced again to no emails, but left the older ones on the server. And thank you, Cuda13 for pointing out that the deleted emails would be in the Outlook Deleted Items folder, so I got back my 3 weeks of emails!
  10. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Use an app that offers the option, as implied by several prior replies that suggested specific apps.

If POP access is an option (unlikely) that would work as well since POP does not sync.