1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

How to delete pre-installed apps

Last Updated:

1. Elegy

Elegy Member This Topic's Starter

Hiya,

I have some pre-installed applications on my G1 (IM, HiDialer, some Chinese appplications etc.) But i cannot uninstall them. It just says: uninstall not succesful. I read some other topics about this and there werent many answers. Only thing some people reply is just: get rooted.
    What if I am rooted? Then how do I uninstall them?

Advertisement
  2. travon802

travon802 Member

The only way to get access to those apps is by rooting since it gives you "admin" access to your phone.

1) Root your phone.
    2) Install the same version of Android SDK on your computer that the phone is running. (specifics here)

3) ADB commands for deleting .apk's listed in this thread (Note: your output under 5a will be different)

So basically, once you've got ADB running, you'll want to run these commands:

adb devices (output = List of devices)

adb shell

su

cd /system/app

mount -o rw,remount /system

rm -r [app name].apk

3. samuellollar

samuellollar New Member

How to delete pre-installed apps on a droid 2 like amazon mp3 block buster video please help thanks in advance :)

4. ylexot

ylexot Well-Known Member

Root and delete.

Of course, then you will not be able to get OTA software updates. A better option is to rename them from .apk to .bak. Even smarter is to just add .bak to the end of the file name (easier to do and undo).

5. sic0048

sic0048 Well-Known Member

I suspect these threads were merged together. The short answer is you cannot remove those apps without achieving Root. Achieving Root gives you the user the required permissions to remove those apps. However without Root, you as the user do not have high enough permissions in the OS to remove those apps.