• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to delete pre installed apps?

if you have a terminal emulator then you can uninstall the apps on the phone. otherwise, you'll need a computer with the sdk tools installed on it to do so.

open a command prompt window
navigate to \sdk\tools
type: adb shell
mount your file system with read/write by typing the following:
mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

go the app directory: cd /system/app

type in: ls

this will list all of the .apk and .odex files

the command to remove is: rm -r xxxxxxx.apk

be careful what you remove and remember to make a nand backup.

As for live wallpapers, they do not work with Sense just yet. So you have to turn off Sense and use the regular launcher on order for live wallpapers to work.

Upvote 0
overclocking is speeding up the phone past the "set limit" its just speeds it up.
nand backups are done in the recovery menu (turn on your phone holding vol up+power)
they make total backups of your phone.

download a terminal emulator from the market if you want to do it that way or you can find the apk for root explorer and delete the apps that way. they are found in /system/data/app

Reactions: NickDroid86
Upvote 0
Ok I downloaded the Emulator and it pops up as a blue screen with a $ on it. Now how exactly do I go through and delete the apps this way? For example, footprints.
i only recommend the emulator for people who have a grasp of linux commands.

root explorer is much easier. its like astro only it lets you go into the system files as well as the files on the sd card

Upvote 0
Man im not trying to be rude or anything, but all of these questions can be answered by searching the past threads, as they have all been asked many many times. and most of them are answered in the stickies.

+1. I'm pretty sure this whole thread is answered in the "Unwanted Apps" thread a few pages back.

And if you think it's all written so that only 'geeks' can understand it, then I would seriously think twice about rooting... because a lot of it's already written to be as simple as possible.

Upvote 0
Ok, well what I'm saying is that the instructions are written as if people already know how to root when they are born. I know how to do stuff like with my blackberry, this is new to me and not really explained that well. Like "use terminal emulator to delete your apps"... Ok well wtf is terminal emulator? Ok I figured it out and got TE, now what its asking for everything in codes.

Its ok I have a nice person willing to actually talk me through and taking the time to teach me instead of discouraging.

Upvote 0
Its ok I have a nice person willing to actually talk me through and taking the time to teach me instead of discouraging.

The whole unwanted apps thread walks you thru the process step by step. Dont know how much easier we can make it for you. It even lists apps that can be removed safely from your phone. If you cant figure it out with the sdk in a command window then you probably wont have much luck with the terminal emulator since that is basically the sdk command window on your phone.

Root explorer is a GUI program that you download from the market that allows you to read/write things in more than just your sdcard.

I knew nothing about root when I went looking for a 2.1 ota a few months ago and basically learned as much as I could about it by reading and searching. Which is what most other people did since we arent born with this knowledge. That probably explains why you catch a little flak from people when you ask to be spoon-fed all this info.

spoon.jpg

Upvote 0
smart ass... It's tough to figure everything out tethered, and having to disconnect and reconnect my eris to my computer so i can mess with that while asking questions and researching on here... I got into it and i spent a little bit typing in the commands provided...non of which works...from my searching im thinking it's something to do with the PATH. So i'm not completely having you guys spoon feed it to me....even if that was a case, this is a forum...this is the whole point of a forum.

Upvote 0
smart ass... It's tough to figure everything out tethered, and having to disconnect and reconnect my eris to my computer so i can mess with that while asking questions and researching on here... I got into it and i spent a little bit typing in the commands provided...non of which works...from my searching im thinking it's something to do with the PATH. So i'm not completely having you guys spoon feed it to me....even if that was a case, this is a forum...this is the whole point of a forum.

Its also tough for someone to help you when you simply say nothing is working. We have no idea what exactly isnt working for you. We will automatically assume that its user error and you are doing something wrong when everyone else has done it that way and it worked for the rest of us. The fact that you are tethered shouldnt be a problem, I deleted unwanted apps without having to disconnect and reboot. Once you delete an app it will be removed from your app drawer on your screen right away.

Also, the whole point of a forum isnt to have the same thread posted over and over again asking the same question because someone doesnt feel like researching before asking a question. The point is to PROVIDE this info for someone to find before they need to ask a question. If you would have said I searched and found a thread telling me how to remove apps but it isnt working for me after I tried this or that, we would be more inclined to help instead of explaining why we dont like to help in situations like now.

Reactions: Slugdoc
Upvote 0

Don't mean to be discouraging, just saying that if you find the instructions in the Unwanted Apps thread too confusing, that you'll probably have other troubles with partitioning to us a2sd, overclocking, creating nandroid backups, pushing/pulling .apks and the like... and you're not going to find someone to hold your hand through every single step of every one of the processes.

That's all I'm trying to say.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones