How to detect that WiFi turns off while screen is off

Last Updated:

1. AndyK

AndyK New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi

I recently bought a HTC Desire which I've become exceedingly fond of.

I've read (and been told by a colleague who owns a HTC Legend) that wifi should automatically turn off while the screen is off to conserve battery. I have the impression that I should be able to see the wifi icon turn on as I turn on the screen and unlock the phone. However, I haven't noticed that happening: The icon seems to just be on always.

I have then tried observing my router's DHCP table when the the screen is off, but I haven't observed the entry for my phone disappearing (and I don't really know how much time has to pass before the table not showing my phone.

Are there any settings that can cause this behaviour? What about programs? I current use smart monitor to log data usage as well as locale (using a SSID plugin and not the locale "location" condition). The only services I can see apart from those I think are OS services, are the ones for locale, smart monitor lite and the SSID plugin.

Thanks in advance

Phone details:

Model number: HTC Desire A8181
    Firmware version: 2.1-update1
    Baseband: 32.30.00.28U-4.05.00.1
    Kernel version: 2.6.29-97da29ed
    htc-kernel@and18-2 #1
    Build number: 1.15.405.4 CL155070 release-keys
    Carrier: 3 (Denmark)
    Phone is correctly registered by carrier

Advertisement
  2. gorn

gorn Well-Known Member

You could try pinging the phone IP address from a terminal window on your computer. Get the IP Address from your router's DHCP table, or from an app like IPDroid.

To ping

Mac/Linux/Etc:
    ping 192.168.1.X

or

Windows:
    ping -t 192.168.1.X

when wifi is active you should see responses, when it's inactive you should see timeouts. When you are done with ping exit with control-C

3. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

On old 1.5 you can control when it sleeps by doing...

Menu>Settings>Wireless Controls>Wifi Settings>Menu>Advanced>Wifi Sleep Policy

Change it to whatever you want!

4. AndyK

AndyK New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks a lot to you both

I didn't know that there was an advanced setting for wifi.... most other settings don't have that. I found that wifi sleep was set to "never". I'm now changing it to 15 min. However, as locale periodically activates wifi to check location, I might have to change the precision such that it only relies on cell towers.

5. w00yee

w00yee Active Member

is your problem solved by running through that setting? even i set mine to "after 15 mins", when i turned the screen on after like 30mins, i noticed that the wifi was till on...
    wifi power saving policy - xda-developers

6. ilh

ilh Active Member

Didn't see that setting there. Just wondering what does it do for "Never when plugged in" when it's not actually plugged in, turn it off after 15 minutes?

7. Tacoma07

Tacoma07 New Member

Thank you verry much for that answer I had that same problem with my android and you fixed it... thanks again :))) have a great day!

8. UssjTrunks

UssjTrunks Well-Known Member

delete