How to determine app size ?

Last Updated:

1. heywood

heywood Active Member This Topic's Starter

Yesterday morning i removed some apps from my rooted 2.1. Nothing exotic, i'm not at that level of exploration, just the common ones recommended like the stock widget & apps (all 3 instances & their .odex) and the visual voice mail.

later in the evening i felt the phone wasn't performing as it should. Taking an xxl image with my fav photo app vignette cause the phone to freeze & i had to remove the battery, the same happened with meebo.

so i did both wipes & re-flashed the official 2.1 rooted rom and all seems well.

So i began to wonder, how much space iod the stock widgets & apps really take up ? if it was miniscule then why bother to remove them at all.

how can i see an apps size from the command prompt ?

Advertisement
  2. xstackedx

xstackedx Member

App size is displayed in market.

Another way to see app size is to run a couple comands.

Code (Text):
    1. adb shell (android sdk must be installed)
    2. su
    3. (then hit allow on your phone)
    4. cd /system/app (to go to the folder of system apps)
    5. (or)
    6. cd /data/app (to go to the installed app folder)
    7. ls -al (This will list all files in said directory in a table. The column left to the date column displays the size of the file in bytes.)

heywood likes this.
  3. heywood

heywood Active Member This Topic's Starter

thanks much, apps from the market i wasn't worried about. Since i back them all up & can just browse the backups folder.

It's the preinstalled apps like the stock market, visual voice mail, peep, twitter etc i was wondering about