How to disable cell radio?Support

Last Updated:

1. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

When I am at school I can barely get a signal. I constantly get notifications for going in and out of service and it's MURDERING my battery! So I was wondering if anyone knows how to completely disable my cellphone usage WITHOUT disabling wifi?

Advertisement
  2. joeykrim

joeykrim Well-Known Member

ive never done this and dont have the time at the moment to test out this idea but i know when i see the radio restart in logcat it shows ppp or pppd up and down. its been forever since i had dialup in linux and manually typed ppp commands but this might be a good starting point to look. although it might be for setting up the EVDO connection and also the WiFi connection.
    outside of a simple app in the market, i assume you checked there, this is the first idea which comes to my mind. it might be a dead end so im just putting ideas out there to brain storm and help!
  3. agent0014

agent0014 Well-Known Member

I feel like I've seen an app for this. Maybe I'm wrong though. Can't check right now.
  4. nate f

nate f Active Member

It's called "Airplane Mode Wi-fi Tool" just installed to try out and it sound like what you need. Can't make a call but I'm connected to my home router and online. Works
  5. CriticalCritic

EXCELLENT! Thank You!:D
  6. Tyrahn

Tyrahn Well-Known Member

You must go to the same school I work at ... :rolleyes:

I've used "OneTouch Widget" for a while to quickly enable airplane mode, wi-fi, GPS, ect ... the airplane mode widget has the option to keep wi-fi connected while in airplane mode. The only catch is that it still disables all the wi-fi options, so you need to be connected to the network when you enable airplane mode or you're screwed.

I'll check out "Airplane Mode Wi-Fi Tool" as well, sounds promising.

Clark
  7. CriticalCritic

Finally testing it out today and it causes both of my browsers (default and steel) to fc. So I'm going to try onetouch next.
  8. Bigjohn

Bigjohn Well-Known Member

That's ONE CLICK widget, not one touch... Just FYI.
  9. CriticalCritic

It works perfectly AND it's a widget!:D:D:D

Thanks Tyrahn!:)
  10. Bigjohn

Bigjohn Well-Known Member

If only I knew how to reach the One Click developer.
    WE need the "airplane mode" to allow bluetooth too...
  11. momentoid

momentoid Well-Known Member

You can find developer's email address in Market on app page after the description of product, comments, developer's web page.
  12. Woest

Woest New Member

is there any way to completely turn off your sell radio cause at the battery use setting this uses most of my battery
  13. Iforgit

Iforgit Well-Known Member

You can use the airplane mode. There are actually widgets and apps that streamline the process, but it can be as easy as turning on airplane mode with the end call button then going into settings and turning wifi on then connecting.

edit: apps are literally called airplane wifi if that helps
  14. mininchico

mininchico New Member

So if I turn cell standby off and use airplane mode I can still send and receive
    calls AND use 3g? I do not understand!