• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to disable GMail notification sound??

I have the HTC G2 Andriod and this thread helped me get on the right track, but I never found a complete answer to turning off the email sound notifications. Not sure why HTC hides this so well. I finally figured it out, so here it is:

Click on your Gmail icon.
Press "Menu"
Select "More"
Select "Settings"
Select the email address you'd like to change (eg yourname@gmail.com)
Select "Lables to Notify"
Hit the dropdown arrow next to "Inbox"
Select "Ringtone" and then select "Silent".

Upvote 0
I have the HTC G2 Andriod and this thread helped me get on the right track, but I never found a complete answer to turning off the email sound notifications. Not sure why HTC hides this so well. I finally figured it out, so here it is:

Press "Menu"
Select "More"
Select "Settings"

This worked for me. I have a Samsung Fascinate with CyanogenMod 7 and the procedure is the same. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Press "Menu"
Select "More"
Select "Settings"

Thanks this was bugging me, helped alot!

Upvote 0

Press "Menu"
Select "More"
Select "Settings"

Hi, I thought this would be the answer, but I have just followed the above procedure in the GMail app settings and now I don't get any notifications at all for GMail...?

All I did was change the ringtone as suggested above, and now I'm not getting GMail notifications at all. Very puzzling, and I can't seem to revert back to the way it was working before!

Upvote 0
Press the Applications button on the bottom of your Home screen.

-Find Gmail

When Gmail comes up you should be looking at a account you have setup (You can press the "Menu" button and look at multiple accounts). Press the "Menu" button and then "Settings". Next change ringtone.

You are able to have a different ringtone to each email account you have and your single(for now) Facebook account.

As far I know there is no way to change ringtones per contact by default/Android OS

The HTC G2 underwent a software update about a month ago. It seems since this update, the above is no longer correct (at least for the G2). I am still unable to change my gmail notification (not in gmail settings or phone sound settings). Any help is greatly appreciated. The last thing I want to do is a factory reset.

Upvote 0

Press "Menu"
Select "More"
Select "Settings"

I tried this on my Bionic, in the Gmail app, and not only did it disable the audible notifications, it disabled the status bar notifier, and wouldn't let me see the new messages in my mailbox. I could see the label (Inbox:2) but it would never display those two new messages.

When I undid it, the audible notification sounded, the status bar notifier appeared, and i could see my new test messages.

Frustrating...

Upvote 0
I figured out how to turn off the gmail notification. Here are steps on Droid Pro:

1)Apps
2) Gmail
3)Menu button
4) More
5) Settings
6) General Preferences
7) Message actions
8) Click on your account under "Account Settings"
9) Notification Settings
10) Email notifications - "Notify in Status Bar when email arrives"
11) Uncheck

If you want to change it to vibrate or silent
Follow steps 1-9, then
a) Labels to notify
b) "Notification preferences for synced labels"
c) email notifications - "Inbox"

Hope this helps... also, hope it works.. haven't tested it yet!!:D

Is there a way to differentiate (and turn off) the gmail notification from the SMS notification?
Is there any way to set different ringers for different SMS contacts?

Thanks!

Reactions: andy88488
Upvote 0

Press "Menu"
Select "More"
Select "Settings"

Short response: Thank You!!

Long response: I belong to a handful of forums, but I didn't remember if I had joind AndroidForums. I was going to register just so I could post a Thank You to this post. But, turns out, I already joined a while back, so once again, Thank You! My point being, I'm really grateful for this answer.

As an aside for everyone out there making the Blackberry to Android migration and are doing searches on differences, in almost all areas Android just blows away the current crop of Blackberry devices, EXCEPT profiles and notifications. It's just easier on a BB. Even with the options available in the Android Market, BB's out of the box are just better when it comes to notifications and profiles. Other than that though, my T-Bolt is way more useful than any BB I've owned. Just sayin.

Upvote 0

Press "Menu"
Select "More"
Select "Settings"

This audible gmail notification alert has bugged me for a long time. Thanks for spelling out the way to turn it off! Kudos to you "dmsguest"!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones