• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to Disable Hourly Chimes

muttleytm

Oct 19, 2012
I have a Droid Incredible (ADR6300). It plays a chime every half hour. I would like to disable this sound.

I have tried turning the volume down on some of the sound settings. This seems to work, however, doesn't seem to be permanent. I'm not sure why, I imagine it is from adjusting volume when playing music or on restarting phone.

I saw a post somewhere that said to click on the clock widget to do this. If I click on the clock widget on the home screen all I do is open up the weather forecast.

???

I don't have to dismiss it, it just makes 3-4 sounds and then stops by itself until thirty minutes later when it repeats again. It's not a big deal, but, it gets to be annoying.

As I said I saw a post somewhere that said to select the clock widget and that it could be disabled there. This makes sense, but, if I do this I can see where to set an alarm, time zone, stop watch, and maybe some other things, but, I don't see anywhere to turn the chimes on or off.

Upvote 0
Your not alone muttleytm. The same thing was being reported on a Samsung Galaxy S2. No answer has been found yet.
You could go into your "manage apps" and just start clearing the data for every app that has the ability for notifications. Clocks, calendars, messaging, email, etc.

Other than that, a factory reset would be your other option.

Upvote 0
I appreciate that this thread is a bit old but I thought it was worth a post for reference.

I had the same issue on a Samsung S3. It turned out to be the BTwifi app checking for connectivity. Every 30 mins it checked the connection and made the chime sound to tell me it found one. In the app settings it allowed me to disable the alert.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tips. I had the similar annoying hourly beep. Based on the above, I checked my weather apps and found that my Transparent Weather app had a setting in "notifications" with a "Sound Every Hour" that was checked. I unchecked it and now hope to get rid of the annoying hourly beep. Thanks for the help.
Thanks for this you are great I set the silly thing up and then forgot where it was so many of the posts around the web with lame answers thank you again.

Upvote 0
Thanks, everyone. My annoying on-the-hour chimes came from my "Digital Clock & Weather" widget. They must have stuck it into the settings on a recent update. Going through the Settings, I found where the new Notification setting "Sound every hour" was and unchecked it. I would have never thought of this app/widget if it weren't for you guys.

I also found a number of other annoying features like "Play a sound when the weather is updated" and "Play a sound when location is updated." The latter would have driven me crazy on an upcoming trip where I play music from my phone through my speakers and the location would have been continually updating! Why do these people do this?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones