• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to disable sms app and use 3rd party one

cruzman

Lurker
Jun 21, 2012
Ok so I have installed a 3rd party SMS app on my Motorola Atrix 4G and I really like it. However I can not figure out how to run off the default app that came with the phone. So for now I get double notificaitons and I have messages in two sepperate areas. The third party app is much better than the standard one, but I only want one of them.

Welcome to the forums. What you need to do is disable the notifications in the stock app. To do this open the "messaging" app. From here, you should see all of your e-mail and text messaging icons. Select menu> messaging settings> text messaging> go down to "notifications" and uncheck it. Now the double notifications should stop. Just make sure to leave the notifications "on" in the 3rd party app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones