• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help how to disable/stop apps from auto closing?

My phone always did this too, I can't use any sort of navigation apps without them closing if I leave the screen to go use another app real quick. Google play music does the same thing sometimes too. I always felt the ROM buggy so I'm just waiting for cm to be developed for us to see if this problem goes away. I think this is a problem with the os. Have you ever noticed that while pressing the back button repeatedly to exit an app sometimes it goes to a previously opened app before it goes to the home screen?

Upvote 0
I believe Pandora or any music app will stop playing when you open the camera which can of course use video and takes over the audio functions of the phone. On mine the music resumes playing when I close the camera.

(someone above had mentioned that Pandora closed when they opened their camera).

Upvote 0
I'm having this issue too. If I start music playing in any number of apps then go to a different app such as a browser, the music playback will stop.

Just had one recently where nextradio stopped playback then started again later.

It's like android is thinking it should close a background app? This never happened on my old phone. Is it a KitKat issue?

Upvote 0
I'm having this issue too. If I start music playing in any number of apps then go to a different app such as a browser, the music playback will stop.

Just had one recently where nextradio stopped playback then started again later.

It's like android is thinking it should close a background app? This never happened on my old phone. Is it a KitKat issue?

this phone has a pretty major (in my opinion) ram issue, it likes to kill apps quite often, even while they are in use in the foreground.

this phone is pretty much incapable playing music of any kind in the background while doing anything else.

i don't know if it's an os issue, an lg issue, or both, just that 1gb is not enough for this device.

Upvote 0
hi i was just reading the comments and i noticed that nobody had mentioned anything about the auto clear ram feature. Its set to close apps every 12 hours unless you change it. It also gives you the option to stop selected apps when it clears them. Just go to task manager and hit settings and see what it says. my phone can run pandora, scanner radio, the browser and the camera all at the same time so i know it will multitask.

Reactions: bg4m3r and Gendo420
Upvote 0
this phone has a pretty major (in my opinion) ram issue, it likes to kill apps quite often, even while they are in use in the foreground.

this phone is pretty much incapable playing music of any kind in the background while doing anything else.

i don't know if it's an os issue, an lg issue, or both, just that 1gb is not enough for this device.
I just created an account to reply here. I share your opinion. Volt probably cant run Kit Kat. The Lg Optimus F3 had no issues with Jelly Bean. The Chrome on the volt often kills pages if they are too long. MY jetaudio music app stops working too if I'm using other apps.

I'd like to add that this phone blows and you should avoid it.

Upvote 0
I took my volt on a road trip for the first time today, and more then once the navigation app just quit while open. Never seen this happen on any previous android phone where google maps, or any other program will just all of a sudden just quit and have the phone go back to the home screen. Sure made listen to music a pain too, since mid song it'll just stop, and if your going down the interstate at speed you really can't do anything about it (or atleast i'm not insane enough to).

Had this same issue until I changed the OOM settings using Kernel Tuner. Of course you need to be rooted to do this.

I was trying to listen to an ebook using Google Play books and Google maps navigation randomly close in the background. After I changed the OOM settings to mild or something more permissive I was able to listen to my eBooks without Google maps navigation closing. It stayed active in the background. Maybe the default OOM settings have been set very aggressively by the factory because it only has 1 gig of ram? In any event I've had good results thus far using this method.

Last edited:
Reactions: bg4m3r
Upvote 0
hi i was just reading the comments and i noticed that nobody had mentioned anything about the auto clear ram feature. Its set to close apps every 12 hours unless you change it. It also gives you the option to stop selected apps when it clears them. Just go to task manager and hit settings and see what it says. my phone can run pandora, scanner radio, the browser and the camera all at the same time so i know it will multitask.
Interesting... Task manager was one of the first things I got rid of and I've never had any multitasking issues. I guess this is why...

Upvote 0
Had this same issue until I changed the OOM settings using Kernel Tuner. Of course you need to be rooted to do this.

I was trying to listen to an ebook using Google Play books and Google maps navigation randomly close in the background. After I changed the OOM settings to mild or something more permissive I was able to listen to my eBooks without Google maps navigation closing. It stayed active in the background. Maybe the default OOM settings have been set very aggressively by the factory because it only has 1 gig of ram? In any event I've had good results thus far using this method.

interesting find, while i no longer use this as my phone, if that works it could be a nice wifi only backup device, since the battery life is rather amazing (i got 90 hours out of it on airplane mode, with wifi on)

could you post which version of kernel tuner you used along with which preset?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
interesting find, while i no longer use this as my phone, if that works it could be a nice wifi only backup device, since the battery life is rather amazing (i got 90 hours out of it on airplane mode, with wifi on)

could you post which version of kernel tuner you used along with which preset?
I just experimented with the OOM presets. I think I tried "Light" and also "Medium". You could also try "Very Light" but I think it's a tradeoff between responsiveness/closing apps, and a bit of lag if you get to permissive. I would recommend trying "Medium". If you set it to "Very Aggressive" it will start closing stuff in the background again, at least it did for me. There are other presets, but I haven't tried any of them. I think basically the OOM settings on this device were just set to some very aggressive / extreme setting so probably anything more gracious than that may solve the problem.

The version of Kernel Tuner I use is:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=rs.pedjaapps.KernelTuner&hl=en

Although there is a newer version, I have had problems with the newer version on another phone, would cause it to reboot when messing with the min and max CPU frequency settings so I'm hesitant to try that same one but who knows, maybe it was just an issue with the phone I was using at the time (Evo 3D).

Upvote 0
I am also experiencing the same problem and I have done all that was suggested to stop it except for rooting my phone (which I have no idea on how to do). I currently have the LG Volt and I have had it for almost a year now. The problem is that it force closes everything even my keyboard. I am unable to get advice from my service provider to fix and their best answer was maybe a tower was down or I might want to look into getting a new phone. Now I paid $300.00 for this phone. There has to be an answer to help stop the glitching and I would grately appreciate anyones help if they know how to fix it. I dont know how to root anything so please exclude that from your response. Thanks.

Upvote 0
I am also experiencing the same problem and I have done all that was suggested to stop it except for rooting my phone (which I have no idea on how to do). I currently have the LG Volt and I have had it for almost a year now. The problem is that it force closes everything even my keyboard. I am unable to get advice from my service provider to fix and their best answer was maybe a tower was down or I might want to look into getting a new phone. Now I paid $300.00 for this phone. There has to be an answer to help stop the glitching and I would grately appreciate anyones help if they know how to fix it. I dont know how to root anything so please exclude that from your response. Thanks.
This phone never cost $300. This is the LG Volt forum. Are you in the right place? There is a rooting guide in the All Things Root subforum. You've probably done all you can without rooting.

Upvote 0
I know I am a year too late but I was facing this issue today with my LG Volt turning my pandora and my Spotify app off by itself. I found a solution. If you are having this problem go to your settings and check if your smart Stay is on. If it is that might be the issue. With the smart stay whenever the Phone dont detect your face it will pause your videos or turn off your screen so im guessing it does the same for othe Apps as well. I turned it off and then restart my device and it kinda worked. Good luck.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Unfortunately yes and there's nothing we can do about it.
RAM Truth said that the Reserved memory used 600 MB? Or anywhere near it?

No it didn't. :D

You're entitled to your opinion - I had one of the first qHD phones made with 1 GB RAM. Depending on the GPU (which is the real draw, not the screen size) it probably said in the neighborhood of 200 MB for this model.

Here's a phone with your exact same GPU but only a 480x800 display -

Screenshot_2015-04-04-23-58-45_zpsno3nxult.png

Like it says at the bottom of the screen, tap any row to see what it's measuring. ;) :)

Reactions: bg4m3r
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones